lesson with Doug

How and what to teach and learn.
davek

lesson with Doug

Post by davek »

Had my first lesson with Doug Elliott today. Was very enlightening and had me thinking in new ways I hadn’t considered! After listening to what I was hoping for or struggling with, he took me through some exercises and movements as he watched and listened. It’s like when a physical therapist has you do things so they can ascertain what is really wrong. He is definitely a seasoned pro.
If any of you are hesitating taking online lessons, especially with Doug, I would encourage you to go for it. It’s really worth it. I really didn’t feel like I missed out on anything even though it was an online lesson vs in-person

Thanks to those of you on this forum for the suggestion. It was good advice.
Wilktone

Re: lesson with Doug

Post by Wilktone »

I've taken many lessons with Doug since my first one in 1997, mostly in person but lately over video chat. I've always gotten something good out of it about my own playing. I also pester him to talk pedagogy and how to use a similar approach in my own teaching. I think even seasoned professional players and teachers can benefit from lessons.

Every once in a while I like to pester Doug to make a book or another video. Doug, consider yourself pestered again.

Did he type your embouchure, davek? If so, I'm curious to hear which type you are.

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Actually I don't tell players their type because nobody remembers anyway.

For the Reinhardt geeks, his type was ambiguous at first, as many are, but settled in as a definite IIIA. The same thing you and I and PaulT talk about all the time.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

You told me in my first lesson. Then again, my current trombone professor was also there and I think we were both asking you questions about it.
Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:32 am For the Reinhardt geeks, his type was ambiguous at first, as many are, but settled in as a definite IIIA. The same thing you and I and PaulT talk about all the time.
I see that so much. I recently got a hold of a digitized audio tape of Reinhardt's "So you think you have problems?" where he talks off the cuff about different cases of issues he came across. Since the ambiguous type can lead to serious issues at times, I was surprised he didn't talk about this situation in that tape. Maybe he didn't specifically talk about it in that tape because it's so common. It might also be addressed in another tape, there's one I haven't gotten around to listening to yet that is "So you think that you are a downstream type performer."

Those can be found at the following URL. They might not make much sense if you don't already have a background into Reinhardt's terms and embouchure types.

https://www.boptism.com/product-categor ... ning-zone/

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
davek

Post by davek »

Thanks for that link. I will check it out. There is so much info out there these days it can cause “analysis-paralysis” where you hear other experts or pros teaching/sharing and they all sound right. It must be especially hard for the younger students who wonder who to listen to.
Aimee Nolte (piano You-tuber) said it well a while back; she said, at some point you just have to pick someone you respect and go with it. That’s why I went with Doug.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

davek wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:11 am Thanks for that link. I will check it out. There is so much info out there these days it can cause “analysis-paralysis” where you hear other experts or pros teaching/sharing and they all sound right. It must be especially hard for the younger students who wonder who to listen to.
Aimee Nolte (piano You-tuber) said it well a while back; she said, at some point you just have to pick someone you respect and go with it. That’s why I went with Doug.
Bingo!
Rrova

Post by Rrova »

davek wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:10 pm Had my first lesson with Doug Elliott today. Was very enlightening and had me thinking in new ways I hadn’t considered! After listening to what I was hoping for or struggling with, he took me through some exercises and movements as he watched and listened. It’s like when a physical therapist has you do things so they can ascertain what is really wrong. He is definitely a seasoned pro.
If any of you are hesitating taking online lessons, especially with Doug, I would encourage you to go for it. It’s really worth it. I really didn’t feel like I missed out on anything even though it was an online lesson vs in-person

Thanks to those of you on this forum for the suggestion. It was good advice.
Totally agree with all points! Without going into detail, there was an aspect to my playing where it felt like hitting a brick wall. After one lesson with Doug there’s finally light at the end of the tunnel. I should have done this 15 years ago! Better late than never!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”