Practice Spaces

How and what to teach and learn.
Post Reply
SaigonSlide
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 am

Practice Spaces

Post by SaigonSlide » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:22 am

I'd love to see where folks do most of their practicing. Practice rooms, practice spaces.

What do you keep in there, what is not there, who is in there with you?

What objects/pics/thoughts help motivate/stimulate your practice?

What do yo u prefer as far as what the space feels like, looks like, sounds like? Dim, bright, warm, cold, open, stuffy, dead, live, sparse, full, etc, etc.

I've always felt that different spaces often times can make you feel a certain way.

Let's see some pics!
SaigonSlide
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 am

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by SaigonSlide » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 am

Here’s my practice space. Really not too complicated. Two trombones out most of the time. I have nice big window overlooking the street below and I’m up by myself on the third floor. I need some different lighting though. I have a cheap speaker set for transcribing or play alongs. My wife uses the room for play therapy for kids so there’s some children-themed pics on the walls.
Attachments
B2BDF6F9-81A2-4EA5-9F31-688955E82F28.jpeg
B2BDF6F9-81A2-4EA5-9F31-688955E82F28.jpeg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 1810 times
User avatar
Neo Bri
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:30 am
Location: Netherwhere
Contact:

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by Neo Bri » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:38 am

The scale of the furniture really threw me off here. It's a room for munchkins - or a normal room with a giant Conn.
________________________________________________________
Get the word out! Make www.trombonechat.com our community!
SaigonSlide
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 am

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by SaigonSlide » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:41 pm

Haha! Good observation actually. We live in Vietnam, and those two chairs are classic Vietnamese style: very low and small. So yes...the scale is wacky!
User avatar
Neo Bri
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:30 am
Location: Netherwhere
Contact:

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by Neo Bri » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:09 pm

Off-topic - how's the gig scene there?
________________________________________________________
Get the word out! Make www.trombonechat.com our community!
User avatar
Grah
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:40 pm
Location: REDLAND BAY, AUSTRALIA

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by Grah » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:42 pm

I must confess I have rather selfishly taken over our lounge room and turned it into an office and practice area. I just have to tidy it up a bit when we have visitors. It is perfect for practicing with Band-in-a-Box, having speakers pointing to the desk and keyboard, and to the place I stand or sit to play:
My Office come Studio Dec 2013.jpg
My Office come Studio Dec 2013.jpg (95.72 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
SaigonSlide
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:47 am

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by SaigonSlide » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 am

Neo Bri wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:09 pm
Off-topic - how's the gig scene there?
As you may imagine, the gig scene is not great! Currently I've been meeting with a guitarist and we're trying to get a bossa nova thing going. I'm a comeback player so I've taken advantage of the lack of gigs by practicing a lot.
baileyman
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:33 pm

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by baileyman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:14 am

The bathroom, any bathroom, where the sound always seems best. There's good precedent, too, as Carl Fonatana's daughter says he would play in there for hours.

If only that's all it took...
Davidus1
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:00 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by Davidus1 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:24 pm

SaigonSlide wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:31 am
Here’s my practice space. Really not too complicated. Two trombones out most of the time. I have nice big window overlooking the street below and I’m up by myself on the third floor. I need some different lighting though. I have a cheap speaker set for transcribing or play alongs. My wife uses the room for play therapy for kids so there’s some children-themed pics on the walls.
Very nice!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
Davidus1
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:00 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by Davidus1 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:25 pm

Grah wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:42 pm
I must confess I have rather selfishly taken over our lounge room and turned it into an office and practice area. I just have to tidy it up a bit when we have visitors. It is perfect for practicing with Band-in-a-Box, having speakers pointing to the desk and keyboard, and to the place I stand or sit to play:
My Office come Studio Dec 2013.jpg
Nice! Great arsenal of instruments there too!
Conn Victor 5H
Yamaha YSL-630
Yamaha YSL-354
Miraphone 186 BBb
User avatar
Zandit75
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by Zandit75 » Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Doesn't show my Trom, but this is my music room. Certain notes set the acoustic guitars off with reverberations. Very cool!
Image
User avatar
Neo Bri
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:30 am
Location: Netherwhere
Contact:

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by Neo Bri » Wed May 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Zandit75 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 pm
Doesn't show my Trom, but this is my music room. Certain notes set the acoustic guitars off with reverberations. Very cool!
Image
That is very cool. My space is very lame and shall not be photographed.
________________________________________________________
Get the word out! Make www.trombonechat.com our community!
User avatar
Zandit75
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by Zandit75 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:02 am

Neo Bri wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:09 pm
Zandit75 wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:55 pm
Doesn't show my Trom, but this is my music room. Certain notes set the acoustic guitars off with reverberations. Very cool!
Image
That is very cool. My space is very lame and shall not be photographed.
Thanks Neo, I do enjoy my little corner of the house.
This is the only room in the house that is actually "truely" finished! Every wall is painted, and all of the furniture in there is exactly what I wanted, even though it's only cheaper stuff from K-Mart.
The two electric guitars hanging are not shop bought, the one on the left is one I got from a friend for nothing, and I stripped it back to bare timber and repainted it while upgrading the electronics. The other one on the right is a kit guitar that I bought a couple of years ago. Very enlightening process to bring the timber alive, and learning the intricacies of wire control and soldering etc. Good fun!
lobonemike
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 09, 2018 6:01 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by lobonemike » Thu May 10, 2018 8:15 am

Conservatory practice rooms. Although a bit noisy sometimes with others practicing, it's still a place I can get work done.

At home in my room. Really dead acoustic so I can really hear what's going on with my mouth.

Any large, live acoustic space such as an ensemble room or even kitchen. Really easy to achieve a ring sound with clear feedback from the room.

I like to vary where I practice so that I can hear things differently constantly.
“Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without.” ― Confucius
BflatBass
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 pm
Location: CA Central Valley

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by BflatBass » Fri May 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Neo Bri thought his practice space was lame? Ha! A little cramped. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. If I forget and leave my mouthpiece on the horn in the winter, I'll put it under warm running water to warm it up before I practice :lol: Accoustics could be better but I get by. And no I don't drink beer while practicing.
Who else practices in the garage?
IMG_1831.JPG
IMG_1831.JPG (652.88 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
King 3B (mid 70's version)
King Duo Gravis Silver Sonic
St. Petersburg 202L

...and now back to your normally scheduled programming.
User avatar
Neo Bri
Posts: 694
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:30 am
Location: Netherwhere
Contact:

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by Neo Bri » Fri May 11, 2018 4:27 pm

BflatBass wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:01 pm
Neo Bri thought his practice space was lame? Ha! A little cramped. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. If I forget and leave my mouthpiece on the horn in the winter, I'll put it under warm running water to warm it up before I practice :lol: Accoustics could be better but I get by. And no I don't drink beer while practicing.
Who else practices in the garage?
IMG_1831.JPG
Hmmm. Is that a MotoGP kit I see hanging up? Sweet. And I love that Duo Gravis in the picture.
________________________________________________________
Get the word out! Make www.trombonechat.com our community!
User avatar
ddickerson
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:55 pm

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by ddickerson » Fri May 11, 2018 5:24 pm

This is my practice room which is just a small bedroom. You will notice if you pay attention a Ham radio sitting on my computer desk as well. Doesn't get too much attention right now because of HOAs, but I don't want to store it in the garage, so there she sits.

cozzagiorgi
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by cozzagiorgi » Sat May 12, 2018 3:28 am

[quote=BflatBass post_id=59587 time=1526076095 And no I don't drink beer while practicing.
[/quote]

Why not???? :idk:
imsevimse
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by imsevimse » Sat May 12, 2018 4:05 am

I practice in my living room, about 5 * 8 m, sixteen bones on sixteen stands, a grammophone, a CD player, a computer and recording equipment. I rather play in a dry room. Not too small. I don't like bathroom accustics because it hides articulation and dynamics. If I perform in a church it is of course a good thing to practice in the same church to adopt the playing. It usually means less of everything. Shorter notes and softer articulations dynamics must be scaled down. I don't think that is fun :-)

/Tom
"Do your best and then do better" ttf_watermailonman
BflatBass
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 pm
Location: CA Central Valley

Re: Practice Spaces

Post by BflatBass » Sat May 12, 2018 10:58 am

cozzagiorgi, the only thing I'll consume while playing the horn is either water or coffee. Just the thought of that stuff in my horn :eek: . Especially the slide.

And Neo Bri, I used to race bikes but not MotoGP :lol: Playing the trombone is a lot safer.
King 3B (mid 70's version)
King Duo Gravis Silver Sonic
St. Petersburg 202L

...and now back to your normally scheduled programming.
Post Reply

Return to “Teaching & Learning”