Ernest Lyon daily exercises

How and what to teach and learn.
stjones

Ernest Lyon daily exercises

Post by stjones »

I was a student of Mr. Lyon at U of Louisville when I was in high school in the early 60s. He was a very important person in my life. After playing what he had assigned me in my second lesson (I was in 9th grade), Mr. Lyon said: "Stephen, you're obviously a talented sight reader. But if you don't practice, you're wasting your time and, more importantly, you're wasting my time." In one of the few instances in which I took good advice, I started practicing. And the resulting improvement in my playing led to my being asked to play in local big bands, which in those days were pretty common. And playing in big bands introduced me to a whole new world in which I was Stephen Jones, a decent (if young) trombone player, and not just the son of a highly regarded physician.
Mr. Lyon had a several page hand out of daily exercises. The other day I discovered I still had the first page. Does anyone have any of the other pages? I'd be happy to send you a copy of mine if you'd be willing to send me a scan of yours.
Stephen Jones (a decent trombone player, though no longer very young)
KWL

Re: Ernest Lyon daily exercises

Post by KWL »

FB0B6D03-0FE1-4A43-A472-446A7B90F58B.jpeg
What I’ve got is six pages of his “Daily Drills for Bb-F-D Trombone” from around 1975. Obviously designed for the bass trombone range. PM me with your email if you are interested in getting them.

Ken Lyons
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Any chance you guys got a lesson with Leon Rapier while there? He's the only guy I know of who actually taught Carl Fontana.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

baileyman wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:11 am Any chance you guys got a lesson with Leon Rapier while there? He's the only guy I know of who actually taught Carl Fontana.
Leon Rapier was a trumpet guru. His brother was Wayne Rapier, a student of Marcel Tabuteau and long-time oboist with the Philadelphia Orchestra, Oberlin Conservatory, and the Boston Symphony Orchestra. Both were noted and very fine teachers.

http://www.windsongpress.com/brass%20pl ... Rapier.pdf
stjones

Post by stjones »

Of questionable pertinence, but I was in high school playing in local big bands in Louisville KY while Leon Rapier was with the Louisville Symphony. Some of the trumpet players I played with referred to him as Soul Chops Rapier. Sadly I never asked why.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”