Tyrell #4 Question

How and what to teach and learn.
muschem

Tyrell #4 Question

Post by muschem »

As a returning player, I've been revisiting all the books I was familiar with 20 years ago (some of the newer editions are very nice), but also exploring those that I missed back then. Somehow, Tyrell's 40 Progressive Studies never made it onto my stand in high school or college, but I saw mention of it here and recently picked up a copy. I enjoy the content so far, but I ran across what seems like a misprint in study #4 (I'm using the Boosey & Hawkes version - I'd check a different edition, but I didn't see one in print): measure 38 appears to have a quarter-note triplet followed by an eighth note triplet (represented as one quarter note + one eighth note). The measure seems to be missing a quarter note worth of duration (2/2 time). I assume this is a well known issue, so I wanted to ask the experts - what is the correct solution?

The triplets aren't bracketed in this printing, so it is conceivable that the first three quarter notes are actually misrepresented as a triplet set. Eliminating that first triplet and playing three regular quarter notes instead, followed by an eighth note triplet resolves the missing beat. Or, perhaps there is a missing quarter rest in the measure? It doesn't seem likely that there is an unmarked time change for that one measure, but I suppose that is also possible. It isn't a performance piece, so it isn't super critical to resolve... just one of those curiosities. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experience.
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
Burgerbob

Re: Tyrell #4 Question

Post by Burgerbob »

I think it's just written half value of what it should be. Half note and quarter note under a triplet heading is what I play.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
muschem

Re: Tyrell #4 Question

Post by muschem »

That makes sense. Thanks!
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra

Return to “Teaching & Learning”