Started trumpet 2 weeks ago, but not too happy with it, Alto Trombone question.

How and what to teach and learn.
holdan74

Started trumpet 2 weeks ago, but not too happy with it, Alto Trombone question.

Post by holdan74 »

Hey, everyone, had a question to ask.

I started trumpet about 2 weeks ago, was loving it at first, and I'm self-teaching, I can hit 4th space E for now, but I'm running into some problems.

I had a BAD sinus problem after practicing for several hours, so put the trumpet down, got to feeling better, and started playing again and BOOM, sinus again. So I can only assume the pressures from the embrochure(im not forcing or blowing hard, letting relaxed air do the work, but it's still internal pressure regardless).

So my question. Will the alto and last case scenario Tenor trombones be much less internal pressures? Seems you are only reaching G5 or F5 in the written range, and I know people play higher, but realistically as a beginner and one who will always play solo, I don't know if I will ever need to squeeze out those 900hz buzzed notes. Lastly, I seem to have a more natural ability to hit low trumpet notes smoothly, so not a born high note guy by any means.

So i guess id also like to know if stepping into the trombone is going to be a little easier for me, i can work out the slide stuff, just worry about high pressures pushing fluid into my sinus and all that havoc a trumpet can reek.
Doug Elliott

Re: Started trumpet 2 weeks ago, but not too happy with it, Alto Trombone question.

Post by Doug Elliott »

Let me get this straight...
You STARTED trumpet 2 weeks ago...
And you were practicing SEVERAL HOURS in one day?
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
holdan74

Re: Started trumpet 2 weeks ago, but not too happy with it, Alto Trombone question.

Post by holdan74 »

Yes, im not feeling any pain other than sinus, but I guess you're saying that's crazy on my part? lol.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

How dirty is that trumpet?
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

High pressure comes from both high pitches and loud playing. Take away one - play softer.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Doubler

Post by Doubler »

Learn from a teacher. There's more to playing a wind instrument than just making sounds with it. There are lots of mistakes to be made when attempting to teach yourself, as you have experienced.
Current instruments:
Olds Studio trombone, 3 trumpets, 1 flugelhorn, 1 cornet, 1 shofar, 1 keyboard

Previous trombones:
Selmer Bundy, Marceau
PaulTdot

Post by PaulTdot »

To answer the question more directly, yes, playing quieter and lower could be of help. A lower-pitched brass instrument would likely mean that you'd be playing with less "pressure".

However, there's no guarantee that it would help. Unless there's already some issues with your sinuses, what you're describing is really, really unusual. It shouldn't be happening like that. It's possible that you are doing something bizarre, playing too loud, playing too much, there's something stuck in the trumpet, or whatever else. Some of those issues might be improved by switching to another instrument... but many would not.

I'd really encourage you to take a lesson with a competent brass player, at least to rule out anything truly bizarre.

Perhaps worth trying:

Find some other ways to create that kind of pressure, and see if it affects your sinuses the same way. Inflate some balloons, perhaps, or just hold your mouth and nose closed and pressurize, hold for a few minutes. Go swimming (if that's an option) and do some diving underwater. Stay away from the trumpet for a day or two and try doing something like that, see how your body reacts.
Paul T.
---
XO Brass Recording Artist
1236L-O
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

I got myself a Conn-Queror cornet several years ago. One of those ancient things that could switch between Bb and A. It was so loud it was hurting my ears and I gave it up.

Why didn't I just play quieter? That's real hard to do on that tiny mouthpiece with no tiny-mouthpiece chops ready to go on it.

By the time I got that working I would have been deaf.

You can hear me play "Zarathustra" on it in my Space Pod movie in my signature. That was the last use I made of it.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
holdan74

Post by holdan74 »

Thanks for the info guys, maybe it was wild timing, i don't know, but i do know i can buzz all day long off and on with a 7c mouthpiece and a 8-inch piece of rubber hose attached. With this, i can buzz down to 70hz and up to as i stated 4th space E. It's a form of exercise i guess, as for my work i spend time sitting in parking lots and such, so im sure i look like a weirdo lol. I get no ill effects from this, and i let the air start the buzz, I don't force it, so I know I'm not straining.

Also, i had wiped the trumpet down and oiled it, and cleaned the mouthpiece, I'm just not sure but no problems since i stopped.
Oslide

Post by Oslide »

holdan74 wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:49 pm I had a BAD sinus problem after practicing for several hours, so put the trumpet down, got to feeling better, and started playing again and BOOM, sinus again. So I can only assume the pressures from the embrochure(im not forcing or blowing hard, letting relaxed air do the work, but it's still internal pressure regardless).
I wonder what it is that you call "a BAD sinus problem"? Could be many things.
To me this sounds rather like a pre-existing, latent health problem that gets kindled by some strain you excert by possibly inadequate training.
Like others said, get advice from a good teacher. If the problem persists, you may want to see an ENT doctor.
All the best!
Ceterum censeo to fetch All of TTF

Return to “Teaching & Learning”