How to improve internal hearing

How and what to teach and learn.
JCBone

How to improve internal hearing

Post by JCBone »

I'm trying to work on my internal hearing and solfege in order to improve control of the high register. Any tips?
timothy42b

Re: How to improve internal hearing

Post by timothy42b »

I think working on playing simple tunes by ear in various keys might help.

It is helping me. But, it's a skill I don't have, so it forces me to both think the note and remember where I am. If I were better then muscle memory would take over, as it does if I get too familiar with a tune in a particular key.

So that's the reason I said might help. If you're already good at this, maybe not so much. Or if you're good at it on tenor then try it on alto.
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Without knowing what you already do - play along with recordings. Consistently pre-membering the pitch of an entrance in musical context is hard to practice - but cranking up the volume on a Detroit Symphony recording and playing along multiple times is a way to do it.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

AndrewMeronek wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:29 am Without knowing what you already do
That's pretty much how I have to look at most questions here.

Where are you coming from? And control of high register can be related to lots of things, including hearing it. If you work on all of it at the same time, it all gets better.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."

Return to “Teaching & Learning”