Pedals notes in tenor trombone

How and what to teach and learn.
yhc

Pedals notes in tenor trombone

Post by yhc »

Hello:

It will be correct to say that if you master the pedal notes on the bass trombone, this helps that in the tenor trombone you can master them as well.

Thanks for your answers!!!
BGuttman

Re: Pedals notes in tenor trombone

Post by BGuttman »

I've found it easier to play pedal notes on tenor than on bass.

Key is to have a mouthpiece that works with your embouchure. Too small = no pedals.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
ChadA

Post by ChadA »

In my experience, that’s not always correct. My pedal tones on bass are no problem, but that’s not true of my pedals on tenor. Tenor trombones can’t always handle that volume of air; it backs up the plumbing. :) I have to play pedals differently on tenor in order to have them work.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

ChadA wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:06 pm In my experience, that’s not always correct. My pedal tones on bass are no problem, but that’s not true of my pedals on tenor. Tenor trombones can’t always handle that volume of air; it backs up the plumbing. :) I have to play pedals differently on tenor in order to have them work.
Same. I have to shift sooner on tenor than on bass, and the air is focused differently.
Elow

Post by Elow »

I think it’s because of how small the tenor mouthpiece is compared to the bass. Pedals are a lot easier on a 1G than a 5G
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Elow wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:05 am I think it’s because of how small the tenor mouthpiece is compared to the bass. Pedals are a lot easier on a 1G than a 5G
Yes, the pedals are essier on a big mouthpiece. On a small tenor mouthpiece like a Bach 12C I can play pedals as low as pedal G but that one is weak. If I do a change I can play down to E and below even on the small mouthpiece. On a large tenor I use a larger mouthpiece. With a Hammond 12M I can play down to pedal F before I need to change. On a bass mouthpiece I can play down to pedal D but that one is weak so I switch there. I'm sure it has to do more with mouthpiece. But the sound of my pedals is much more useful with a bass trombone. It's not only to get the note, it must be effective too.

/Tom
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:50 pm I've found it easier to play pedal notes on tenor than on bass.

Key is to have a mouthpiece that works with your embouchure. Too small = no pedals.
Bruce, I think you are a exption! Without changing my mpc setting I can easilly play more the one octave lower on my bass than my tenors. If I should write music for trombones I would not write lower for tenor than peadl Ab to be sure that a most player could play it. For bass I would write pedal Eb, knowing that most bassplayers could play a third lower than that. For a tenortrombonist doubling I would write pedal F, still be sure that would be played with no problem.

How high? Tenor to high C and bass to G to be sure it woul be played even when the players are tired. For most pro players four tones higher is sometimes asked for.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”