Slide grips

How and what to teach and learn.
JCBone

Slide grips

Post by JCBone »

So my teacher puts a lot of emphasis into proper slide grip, yet I see some of the top players have all sorts of wacky grips. The question is, is there 1 proper slide grip and how much of a difference does it really make?
Burgerbob

Re: Slide grips

Post by Burgerbob »

Is there one proper slide grip? No.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There are some grips that are definite no-nos. One is the "death grip" often used by beginners (where you try to clamp on the slide brace with your full hand). Also, you shouldn't use a grip where you don't actually hold the slide brace; too easy to lose the slide.

A good grip for beginners is the thumb one one side of the slide brace, and two fingers on the other side, with two fingers below the lower slide tube. You keep your wrist parallel to the slide brace so it can flex to let you reach the outer positions. You should adopt this grip until you get facile enough to experiment.

A number of players like the LaFosse grip, with the wrist parallel to the lower slide tube, and the thumb and first finger on either side. Often this is supplemented with the little finger of the right hand under the lower slide tube.

Note that most of us hold the slide where the slide brace contacts the lower slide tube. This has been found to be the best place for control.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

The grip you use makes a huge difference, but it's gotta be right for you. I only use my thumb and index finger. This grip let's you know right away what is wrong with your slide technique and slide condition, and reduces stress on the slide tubes. But it's not for everyone.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

The correct slide grip should facilitate quick relaxed straight line slide motion. So as long as the slide grip is subordinate to the main focus, it can work. It seems to me that the slide grip is the third priority - first being the straight line slide motion, second focus being the wrist and forearm motions that support that, and third being the grip that should support the arm movements.

I recently heard a good jazz player, with that blazing straight line slide speed, explain how to do it. I didn't argue (I'm getting better at that). But my lying eyes were obviously fooled, because they didn't see him doing what he thought he was. Hee, hee.

So here's what I think is correct: The Jim Markey forearm rotation described so well in that ATW video that has been linked to several times here, but with one additional element. The back of the hand should line up with the forearm. If the hand flexes dorsally such that the back of the hand moves up toward forearm (I don't know the correct term) then the forearm rotation described by Markey is inhibited. If the hand bends the other direction there isn't an effect until it moves so far that it will feel awkward.

If you watch for that hand position, that classic grip we see so often magically appears.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I think you should start from a proper grip and then once you understand what's going on with it, you can evolve that grip to fit your way of moving your body. I was at New England Conservatory with Julie Josephson, a NY freelance, and she had the absolute wackiest grip ever with her right elbow flying out all over the place. She graduated with the Artist Diploma, first brass player ever to do it. But I wouldn't wish that grip on anyone.

Do what your teacher says.

I personally try to not even actually grip the slide. I flip the handle between thumb and forefinger, with the lower slide tube between middle finger and ring finger. Most of my actual "grip" of the slide is between the middle and ring finger. I think a lot of people do this without really thinking about it. Very minimal grip, very fluid motion. if you're not careful, you can lose the slide. But, it allows me to go faster without actually touching the slide very much. I have short arms, so I have to extend my fingers and let go with the thumb to reach 7th position.

Do what your teacher says, and then over time develop your own grip.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”