CHRISTIAN LINDBERG TROMBONE WARMUP

How and what to teach and learn.
Jose999

CHRISTIAN LINDBERG TROMBONE WARMUP

Post by Jose999 »

I would like to know your opinions about the warm-up routine of the Master.
Whatch the video it's a free master class :pant: :lol:
Savio

Re: CHRISTIAN LINDBERG TROMBONE WARMUP

Post by Savio »

Thanks for posting! Nothing new. I think it's interesting that even the masters do it like us others, its basic. The difference is maybe he is very concentrated and focused. And he take this small break's where he focus his brain. That's an important aspect in all practice. I often loose focus and start think of dinner etc. Lol. :D
Leif
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Yes there is nothing new in what material he use. What is special for Christian is how carefully he is, in everything, how the tones work, how long pause he take. Most of us (all I think) do not do it exactly the same ewery time. One thing I do slightly different is the breathing exercise. I always try to make the inhalation as quite as posible. I do think Christian do to, but to show the audience what is happening he makes this sound. He mentioned the corners, he could as well have mention the pointed chin to, (or did he? I might have miss it) Maybe one reason I am not in the same league is that I am much more sloppy. Well,Christian is the man.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Not to hijack the thread but Jim Markey has been posting a video every day showing a few minutes of what he’s working on in the practice room that day. Frankly, it’s not much different from what I do. It’s just a lot better.

You’re right, I think. Concentration, precision count for a lot.
Savio

Post by Savio »

Basbasun wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:54 am Yes there is nothing new in what material he use. What is special for Christian is how carefully he is, in everything, how the tones work, how long pause he take. Most of us (all I think) do not do it exactly the same ewery time. One thing I do slightly different is the breathing exercise. I always try to make the inhalation as quite as posible. I do think Christian do to, but to show the audience what is happening he makes this sound. He mentioned the corners, he could as well have mention the pointed chin to, (or did he? I might have miss it) Maybe one reason I am not in the same league is that I am much more sloppy. Well,Christian is the man.
Yes, he really is the man! Amazing what he have done as an ambassador for the trombone in decades. He have reached out to a wide range of music lovers.
Leif
Savio

Post by Savio »

Bach5G wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:13 am Not to hijack the thread but Jim Markey has been posting a video every day showing a few minutes of what he’s working on in the practice room that day. Frankly, it’s not much different from what I do. It’s just a lot better.

You’re right, I think. Concentration, precision count for a lot.
I follow that thread. It's amazing and very inspiring. And I love the kindly and down to earth attitude he have. He is young and I believe represent the future of trombone. I'm so glad he do this video's and same with Toby Oft and his bordogni videos. So inspiring and I see these two as the most interesting things in the trombone world right now. Can't wait for the next move they do. They must have a fantastic time in Boston?

Leif
Savio

Post by Savio »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx6OwF ... xAUnUcHnRw

Also let me mention this very young player in Halle symphony orchestra; Kyle MacCorquodale. Only 22 years old! But watch his practicing videos! So inspiring, a trombone player for the future. Im glad there are so many young inspiring trombonists out there. Its amazing! The world goes on...... but its also inspiring what the old ones did to make the trombone in the music world develop. They made the road...

Leif
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

I’m working my way through Peak. (Ericsson and Paul, 2016.)

The main thesis In the book is that experts in any field have a more refined mental representation of excellence than lesser performers. That goes a long way to explaining why a great player and a not so great player can do the same routine and get different results.

Other necessary ingredients for success, discussed in the book, are mentioned above, but the over riding aspect is developing a detailed idea of what good is and then putting in the methodical work to get there.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Savio wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:14 am https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx6OwF ... xAUnUcHnRw

Also let me mention this very young player in Halle symphony orchestra; Kyle MacCorquodale. Only 22 years old! But watch his practicing videos! So inspiring, a trombone player for the future. Im glad there are so many young inspiring trombonists out there. Its amazing! The world goes on...... but its also inspiring what the old ones did to make the trombone in the music world develop. They made the road...

Leif
He is great! That fake church background though... The lighting doesn't quite match up.

It's funny that when the background matches the reverb, the reverb is believable. If his background was of the practice room he was actually playing in, the viewer would think "oh, he applied a fake reverb", even if the audio was exactly the same.

Yes, I think the way people like Christian apply themselves to their practice is what sets them apart. I still want to see practice videos of him from, say, 1989-1993. He must've been in the zone for most of the day, every day. For years.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have a hard time getting past his sound.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Christian? Or that guy in the fake church
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:12 pm ... Or that guy in the fake church
Why do you say "fake church?" It seems to be where he is actually playing, not a Zoom background.

From the post of Kyle MacCorquodale's first day (of 56):

"Today I have been lucky enough to gain access to a nearby church and have the opportunity to use it everyday."
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:12 pm ... Or that guy in the fake church
Why do you say "fake church?" It seems to be where he is actually playing, not a Zoom background.

"Today I have been lucky enough to gain access to a nearby church and have the opportunity to use it everyday."
It suppose it could be a real church, with a greenscreen upon which they superimposed an image of some other church interior, lit completely differently than the trombonist is.

Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:39 pm
Posaunus wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:29 pm

It suppose it could be a real church, with a greenscreen upon which they superimposed an image of some other church interior, lit completely differently than the trombonist is.
Uhh... I'm pretty sure he's actually there haha
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Savio

Post by Savio »

What surprise me most about these guys is they must have a lot of clothes. They have different clothes every day. :D Anyway, it's big inspiration, the playing. I tried some of their approach but my self discipline isn't that big....

Leif
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:12 pm Christian? Or that guy in the fake church
The church is likely to be the one that he's also the organist for..
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I mean, I'll go along with you guys and say I'm wrong. Am I the only one who is seeing the lighting in the completely static church background coming from a completely different direction and not consistent with the lighting on the musician?

In Christian's video, we can clearly see that he is standing in front of that wall paper in very poor lighting.

Also yes, where do they get all those clothes?!
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

harrisonreed wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:01 am
Am I the only one who is seeing the lighting in the completely static church background coming from a completely different direction and not consistent with the lighting on the musician?

Churches do tend to have more than one window, and even more than one light bulb. He's young and really good, just get over it!
Basbasun

Post by Basbasun »

Christian is playing in a room with a terrible echo that make both his voice and trombone sound strange. He does not sound like that in reality.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

On the records I have his sound is much better. It may be the strange room. To me the sound on his first record is what I like the most. I think on that first old vinyl he played a Yamaha.

It is nice he shares also his mistakes in this video. Most pros don't do that. Everything is perfect or it will not be released. I think he knows the proof of what he can do musically can be heard on many, many records. I have several on my shelf that is absolutely fantastic playing.

/Tom
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

imsevimse wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:49 am On the records I have his sound is much better. It may be the strange room. To me the sound on his first record is what I like the most. I think on that first old vinyl he played a Yamaha.

It is nice he shares also his mistakes in this video. Most pros don't do that. Everything is perfect or it will not be released. I think he knows the proof of what he can do musically can be heard on many, many records. I have several on my shelf that is absolutely fantastic playing.

/Tom
I wish his first album would be rereleased digitally -- it has been out of print since the first pressing.

He played Yamaha on at least two BIS CDs as well. Couldn't hear any difference.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”