Christian Lindberg practice session- video

Post by Burgerbob »

Neat video that CL himself put up-

Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Savio

Re: Christian Lindberg practice session- video

Post by Savio »

Interesting!

First of all, I must say that I have always admired him very much. Because he made a living as a classical trombone soloist. Pianists, violinists and even cellists do it all the time. Some say that talent means a lot and that you then do not have to work so much. That may be true sometimes, but he proves that systematic work over time pays off. He has also given us great discussions about mouthpiece buzzing. To me, it only means one thing. We are all different and do not have to go into ingrained paths. What is right depends on both time, age and person.
I must admit that I have neither the knowledge nor the ability to understand how to become a musician on that level. But I understand from this video that it is systematic and hard work over time that applies regardless of talent. Either way, it's inspiration!

Leif
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

It is quite surprising to me that he is doing the classic young student practice method of starting at the beginning each time and making similar mistakes each time. And then when he, more or less, gets it once, he stops. I wonder if this is really how he practices, or is this a simulation for the video?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

VJOFan wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:15 pm It is quite surprising to me that he is doing the classic young student practice method of starting at the beginning each time and making similar mistakes each time. And then when he, more or less, gets it once, he stops. I wonder if this is really how he practices, or is this a simulation for the video?
Yes, but if you do it 5000 times, ironing out the mistakes, for EACH BREATH, then you become Christian Lindberg.

Unless he's just trying to get a clean take at any tempo to splice together for the final video. I doubt it though.
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:52 am
VJOFan wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:15 pm It is quite surprising to me that he is doing the classic young student practice method of starting at the beginning each time and making similar mistakes each time. And then when he, more or less, gets it once, he stops. I wonder if this is really how he practices, or is this a simulation for the video?
Yes, but if you do it 5000 times, ironing out the mistakes, for EACH BREATH, then you become Christian Lindberg.

Unless he's just trying to get a clean take at any tempo to splice together for the final video. I doubt it though.
We are, without a doubt,talking about one of the most successful and influential trombonists who ever walked the earth. If he decides to share with the world what his approach to practicing is, we should listen VERY carefully.

(Also, I have been a fan boy ever since I saw him give a concert performance in Germany when I was a teenager. I didn’t even know what to make of it, it was so breathtaking of a performance.)

That being said, I understand where VJO is coming from and am surprised as well about this approach. If it works for him, more power to him.
For many players, and especially young ones, I am not sure this is the best way to go, I have to admit. I realize he doesn’t buzz, but what about other ways to practice, like singing ? Maybe in another video ? Would love to see what else he does when working in repertoire.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

He did sing it in the second video. It sounded exhausting!
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:43 am He did sing it in the second video. It sounded exhausting!

Just saw it. You can feel his energy through the video ! Wow !
aasavickas

Post by aasavickas »

Seems to me if your intention is to learn phrases in context that stopping every single mistake is not a good habit. Particularity when it comes to performance or sight reading.

I get the idea of isolating trouble spots and playing them correctly many times in a row to ensure you got it. He seems to have found a method that works for him. Different strokes and all.
Savio

Post by Savio »

Maybe wait to see how he do it? We don't know before he finishes?
Leif
lauriet

Post by lauriet »

Makes me feel great that a Master still cracks notes.
Puts my expectaions more into perspective, and shows that
it is really hard to play well......so don't get down on yourself about your progress.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”