Bass trombone for teaching?

How and what to teach and learn.
DakoJack

Bass trombone for teaching?

Post by DakoJack »

I am a tenor trombonist but want to teach Trombone at the University level and want to buy a bass bone so I can properly understand and teach the bass bone. I initially was going to buy a 70h because I have a couple gigs currently where I cover the bass bone book with my concert horn and since the charts are Frank Sinatra where GR played the bass part I wanted to get close as possible to that sound. But my friend pointed out something I agree with which is I should go for something with two triggers in the most common tuning so that I have the best chance to teach students what they are mostly working with. What are your thoughts on this and what has your experience been.
Burgerbob

Re: Bass trombone for teaching?

Post by Burgerbob »

I'd definitely get something middle of the road, probably F/Gb/D so you can get the full experience, and are ready to teach all aspects of the horn.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Bb/F/Gb/D independent. Then you'll just have to condition yourself to "forget" the Gb options when teaching a student with a dependent horn. It's a whole lot easier that trying to teach the Gb options when you've never used them yourself.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

If you're looking for something new, you might go with a yamaha https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical ... index.html Pretty standard.

A Getzen is pretty main stream: https://www.getzen.com/trombone/eternabass/1052fd.shtml

Some people like the Conns: https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/instr ... bones/62hi

If you want something used, Bachs can be decent horns, recommend the 50b3, several valve options. I personally play a Kanstul 1662i. Some people like the Holton 181.

Roberts played several horns, but mainly stuck to single valves. If you want a double valve that gets the Roberts vibe, but you'd still be best to look for a Kanstul, although a Kanstul is going to have some features that aren't really mainstream, and students won't necessarily recognize (like tuning in slide).

Your best bet would probably be a Bach 50b3 with your choice of valve (rotary, axial, Hagmann) or one of an assortment of Yamahas . You can get them new or used, although new Bachs in my opinion are a bit over priced. Recommend you play some before making a long term relationship with an instrument. The Yamaha would be the safest bet to buy sight unseen.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

For a doubling horn, you really can't go wrong with a Yamaha, especially the discontinued 613H. I'm not as much a fan of the 830, and I think it's too bad they don't have another independent bass in their catalog.

The Shires Q series bass - and the Eastman bass for that matter - is excellent as well.

The Getzen 1052 is also worth a look.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”