Learning piano

How and what to teach and learn.
Mikebmiller

Learning piano

Post by Mikebmiller »

It has occurred to me lately that I would understand more about music theory and chords and so forth if I actually knew how to play piano a little bit. I have never had a piano lesson in my life, but once tried to play chopsticks and got the first note right. Also, I don't own a piano or keyboard of any type. A keyboard playing friend of mine suggested getting a Alesis keyboard, which seems to be fairly inexpensive. They have the MIDI type which has tons of various effects, but no built in speakers, or the electric piano type, which has less effects but does have speakers. I have developed an interest in DAW music production during the quarantine, so it seems like the MIDI might we the way to go.

Any thoughts on where to start? There are a zillion Youtube videos, but I think a real teacher might be the better way to go, at least at first. I don't see myself becoming a great pianist, but I would like to be able to read the music and at least be able to play some chords.
BGuttman

Re: Learning piano

Post by BGuttman »

An inexpensive piano style keyboard with speakers is the best way to start. An 88 key keyboard is to be preferred over a 60, and full size keys is a benefit.

When we married, my wife wanted a piano as her wedding present so we bought one. I decided I wanted to learn it a bit and the teacher at the piano store suggested Bastien and Bastien, which is a piano method for adults. Granted, this was over 45 years ago and maybe there's something better, but that's my suggestion.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon »

I recently had to learn piano basically from scratch over three months for a piano proficiency test for my degree.

Scales scales scales scales. Did I mention scales? More so than even on trombone. With scales you learn the proper hand positions and learn how to sink up your hands. Chord progressions and triads are also necessary for this. After that it's just taking whatever piece you decide to work on slow. Like note by note hand by hand slow. It took about 2 months to learn all my scales and another month to cover the music for my test. This was maybe playing 30 minutes every other day and a lesson once a week.

Point is... You can do it! Practice scales on your own. Just make sure you've got the hand positions correct and you're using the right fingerings.
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42 1974, Elliott XT
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan »

I took class piano back in college and still have the lesson books. A Hanon 60 exercise book, two basic Bach books, a book of early English sonatinas, and a book of 142 easy piano pieces. They would be about $63 new. PM me if interested at $25 delivered.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
Greg Songer
King 606, King 3B-F: DE LT101/LTD/D3
King 4B-F: Bach 5G Megatone gold plated
King 2107 bass: DE MB109/MB J/J8 King
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

BGuttman wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:53 pm An inexpensive piano style keyboard with speakers is the best way to start. An 88 key keyboard is to be preferred over a 60, and full size keys is a benefit.
You need weighted keys, not springloaded. It makes a huge difference in the learning process. There are some inexpensive 88 key digitals out there that would be fine to start, but be careful. If advertised as touch sensitive, it will be springloaded and not worth the effort.

Technically 61 keys is enough - you can play all of Bach on it. But there isn't a good weighted key 61 out there, the useful ones start at 88. There's a cheap Casio out there for about $600 USD with stand and bench that would work for starting. We bought Yamaha because my wife actually played piano and liked the key feel much better. Any music store would have a selection of brands. I would not worry about tone quality - if you need real piano sound at some point you'll do it with the MIDI out and software.

Or you could take an old acoustic piano somebody is giving away, and regret it for much longer.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

timothy42b wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:10 am
BGuttman wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:53 pm An inexpensive piano style keyboard with speakers is the best way to start. An 88 key keyboard is to be preferred over a 60, and full size keys is a benefit.

Or you could take an old acoustic piano somebody is giving away, and regret it for much longer.
My 97 year old mom has a nice piano that I could probably end up with before too many more years pass. It's just a matter of figuring out where to put the darn thing.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

An acoustic with a known record might be a viable option, especially if maintained and tuned. A casual reading of the piano tuners forums says most freebie pianos are unrepairable junk, so buyer beware.
thatme

Post by thatme »

I like this topic. Any additional recommendations are appreciated. I have the Alfred book which I noodle from, from time to time but I might do better with videos, etc... any recommended YouTube resources that people like?
Rath R9 Bass
B&S GR-51 BBb Tuba
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

thatme wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:15 pm I like this topic. Any additional recommendations are appreciated. I have the Alfred book which I noodle from, from time to time but I might do better with videos, etc... any recommended YouTube resources that people like?
A couple of print sources:

There was a teacher on pianostreet, now long gone, who had about 1000 awesome threads about learning piano.

People have collected his links but afaik the collections no longer work. You can still search on his name. Here's an example of a thread he answered:
https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.p ... 858.0.html

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.p ... 9#msg78399

And then of course there's cc chang, somewhat of a grandiose writing style but has some gems:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/do ... 1&type=pdf
afugate

Post by afugate »

timothy42b wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:10 am
You need weighted keys, not springloaded. It makes a huge difference in the learning process. There are some inexpensive 88 key digitals out there that would be fine to start, but be careful. If advertised as touch sensitive, it will be springloaded and not worth the effort.

Technically 61 keys is enough - you can play all of Bach on it. But there isn't a good weighted key 61 out there, the useful ones start at 88. There's a cheap Casio out there for about $600 USD with stand and bench that would work for starting. We bought Yamaha because my wife actually played piano and liked the key feel much better. Any music store would have a selection of brands. I would not worry about tone quality - if you need real piano sound at some point you'll do it with the MIDI out and software.

The Casio Privia line has good touch and good sounding samples. I bought an open box one when I was taking a big band composition class. My previous cheap keyboard had lousy overtones which was frustrating. The Privia fixed this for me.

Note: The one I purchased (Casio PX-160) has a very limited number of samples. It's not intended to be a midi keyboard, although I use it for midi input. It's intended to sound like and play like a good piano. It does that well for a very reasonable price.

--Andy in OKC
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Thanks Andy. How is that mouthpiece you got from me working out?
afugate

Post by afugate »

Mikebmiller wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:22 pm Thanks Andy. How is that mouthpiece you got from me working out?
I like it, but I've mostly kept the trumpet in the case since January. In my new role as a state legislator, face time on the horn can be a challenge. Rarely do I get time to do more than put my chops back together for a performance. I've got a live streamed performance big band performance coming this weekend, so I've been on my Yamaha 645, working out kinks. Live dress rehearsal tonight before an audience. It's outdoors, and hopefully everyone will maintain their social distancing.

Our daughter likes it, but she also feels comfortable playing on a trumpet mp, so it's of less use to her.

--Andy in OKC
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Well I ordered a Casio PX-S1000 today from Sweetwater. Here goes nothing!
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I got my Casio today. Seems like a nice instrument. This thing has way too many notes, but at least I don't have to worry about whether my range is any good on it. First lesson next week with a lady who is supposed to be good with adult beginners.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Has anyone tried any of the myriad online piano training systems that are out there? Flowkey, Pianote, etc., etc. I have my first actual lesson tomorrow, but I am thinking 30 minutes a week with a teacher is not going to be enough to progress quickly.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”