Floating an idea: introduction to transcribing

How and what to teach and learn.
AndrewMeronek

Floating an idea: introduction to transcribing

Post by AndrewMeronek »

The idea I'm floating is because so many people away from school, to see if there might be interest in making some "intro to transcribing" videos just for people who find that idea intimidating and need things slowed down. For example, transcribing my performance of "Happy Birthday" but both presented in its entirety and broken down into 2-measure sections that are easier to tackle. The goal would be to transcribe it to paper and to play it back and then have some way to compare the written results to my written version of what I played.

I am thinking that something like this might be interesting, or maybe not at all, but most transcribing that I've seen is done by just jumping into some famous recording - there doesn't seem to be too much material that is designed to train up people who aren't capable yet of transcribing from famous recordings. This would be for relatively inexperienced students - think around middle school age.

Or, if someone knows of "basic" transcribing resources meant for such students, let us know! :)
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
BGuttman

Re: Floating an idea: introduction to transcribing

Post by BGuttman »

I like your idea. Be a good thing for aspiring jazzers. And for us olde farts who never did it before. Maybe do a few: Happy Birthday, Hot Cross Buns, Twinkle Twinkle, etc.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
AndrewMeronek

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Aha! I found someone that does something like what I described, but here the actual contents are on their own website that requires a tuition payment.

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

I’ve been thinking of a similar idea. Transcribing could be taught like dictation, breaking it down into manageable pieces. For those wanting to learn jazz vocabulary, there could be phrases over common chord progressions so that the transcribee could learn to pick out the bass, chords and the melody. It could then increase in complexity over time.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”