Dosage and Duration for muscle memory

How and what to teach and learn.
VJOFan

Dosage and Duration for muscle memory

Post by VJOFan »

I just finished my annual impersonation of a trumpet player doing Last Post and Rouse for my school's Remembrance Ceremony. Two of the :trebleclef: :space5: clammed up a bit (not a total splat; I just didn't get the "weight" all the way up so I ended up repeating the previous :trebleclef: :space4:) --Just didn't get the setting right under pressure of the moment.

There are years when it goes very well (only one time I was a bit disappointed) and others that are not as perfect.

From the embouchure experts, to at least establish a proper timeline for preparation, I am asking if there is a "usual" amount of time (with the assumption of daily practice)it takes to firmly acquire muscle memory for embouchure/oral cavity positioning for a pitch range.

The acquisition is relatively new each year because I only play trumpet for this event and play trombone sporadically the rest of the year.

The good years, it feels like I can't miss. I just play as easily as I play trombone. The not as good years I get to the middle of the call and have to start aiming my pitches and at least a couple miss their targets.

How early should I start getting ready?

Thanks!
Doug Elliott

Re: Dosage and Duration for muscle memory

Post by Doug Elliott »

I don't have a good answer, except maybe this:

Since you're fresh off of it this time, spend a few weeks NOW working on trumpet AND trombone, until you feel like you have a better understanding of what it takes. That will serve you well next year.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

From what I have heard from others, it really needs face time with both instruments. When James Markey was auditioning for the Bass Trombone gig at the NY Phil, he practiced both tenor and bass, as he was still the tenor player at the time. To be good at Alto, you need to play it as well. When I have to bring out the tenor instead of the bass, I start prepping at least a month in advance.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Doug Elliott wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:00 pm I don't have a good answer, except maybe this:

Since you're fresh off of it this time, spend a few weeks NOW working on trumpet AND trombone, until you feel like you have a better understanding of what it takes. That will serve you well next year.
Of course that make a lot of sense.

I could probably also find a way to get a session in every week or two during the year so it is a more natural transition.

I’ve just never been a great planner so it’s always been, “It’s Fall, better get at it!”

Return to “Teaching & Learning”