Practice endurance problem

How and what to teach and learn.
micka572

Practice endurance problem

Post by micka572 »

Hi, usually when I have nothing to do for the day I practice 20 minutes rest 15/20 minutes practice 20 minutes rest 15/20 minutes etc... from 8am to 5pm or 6pm with an hour rest at noon.

But lately due to work obligation some days I practice 3 or 4 sessions in the morning and 3 or 4 sessions in the afternoon and it was night and day.

When I practice all day long after 4 sessions my sound isn't the same and I feel like I forced everything, range, nuances, articulations...

Is it normal ?

Thank you all
AndrewMeronek

Re: Practice endurance problem

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Yes, that's normal, especially for brass players where the stress on our tiny face muscles can be pretty extreme. Rest is good.

That's not to say that there isn't some value in doing all-day practice marathons. Just don't do that every day, and especially on gig days. :eek:
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It would be a good idea to start doing fewer but longer sessions. At least on some days.
Play 30-40 minutes before you rest,

Strength and endurance are two different things. Right now you're building strength but not endurance. You need both.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
dxhall

Post by dxhall »

Are you recommending a schedule which alternates days of multiple, short practices with days of single long practices?
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

I have found that the P.E.T.E. from warburton really helps with my endurance. I use it at work during the day. It's not as good as real practice, but it definitely helps condition/develop the lip muscles.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

dxhall wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:14 am Are you recommending a schedule which alternates days of multiple, short practices with days of single long practices?
No, I'm recommending you make all of your practice periods longer. Alternating days is a good practice technique but it needs to be done in a different way than that.

Of course I don't know what you're practicing, but I would say 15 minute intervals is not enough to really accomplish anything.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:51 am
dxhall wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:14 am Are you recommending a schedule which alternates days of multiple, short practices with days of single long practices?
No, I'm recommending you make all of your practice periods longer. Alternating days is a good practice technique but it needs to be done in a different way than that.

Of course I don't know what you're practicing, but I would say 15 minute intervals is not enough to really accomplish anything.
I am with Doug. Unless you are practicing at the top of your range, play for longer intervals before taking a large amount of rest.
micka572

Post by micka572 »

I'm a little bit confused too.

It's better to do 4 30 minutes than 6 20 minutes ?
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

It really depends on lots of things.... How long you've been playing, how advanced you are, what other kinds of playing you do or don't do.

For a total beginner, 2 practice periods of 15 minutes each would be a good way to start.
If you keep limiting it to 15 or 20 minutes you will probably remain at that level.
micka572

Post by micka572 »

I started playing 5 years ago but as an adult I would progress fast, too fast and think I played too much at my stage and it caused lots of bad things like forced sound, overblowing and air leak at corners due to fatigue

Return to “Teaching & Learning”