Studies and etudes

How and what to teach and learn.
bigbandbone

Studies and etudes

Post by bigbandbone »

Does anyone else write there own studies and etudes just to make it more interesting? I'm about 1 year into switching to full time bass bone. I play mostly big band, light pop, and pit music. The only bass bone book I've found that I'm enjoying working through is the old GW one.
I wrote this out and have been playing it daily for a couple of weeks now. I lifted the first 16 measures off of a 1953 Stan Kenton recording featuring GW then filled in the rest of the tune in the same key.
I play it twice. First as written then down an octave. It pushes me for range (both high and low), intonation in the trigger range, phrasing, and breath control.
Now I need to find another!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AndrewMeronek

Re: Studies and etudes

Post by AndrewMeronek »

I don't do much of that specifically in terms of writing out etudes; I tend to spend most of my writing efforts composing, arranging, and transcribing full scores.

But - yes, there are a whole lot of great melodies in jazz (and Broadway adaptations) that make for great vocalise etudes. In particular, Cole Porter wrote some real gems.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I would be tempted to do on other days different keys. C comes immediately to mind. Familiar shifts move to different places and the ear learns.
GBP

Post by GBP »

Something of real value that many who study jazz do; learn the study in all 12 keys. I haven’t made it to all 12 yet, but the new key brings a new set of challenges but also retains the familiarity of line.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

If you're looking for more interesting studies for bass bone, try the Eliezer Aharoni book. Lots of licks in various styles. Best bass bone book for pop styles I've seen.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”