Bouree’

How and what to teach and learn.
GBP

Bouree’

Post by GBP »

I have decided that I need to work on playing beautiful, melodic music. To that goal, I started working on the Bach Cello Suites. I have been listening to a lot of cellists and the recording that I really enjoyed was Rostropovich. He played the Bouree’ with exuberance and Devil May Care. I have attempted to capture that in my playing of the piece.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvcik3e35j0wu ... 2.mp4?dl=0
Neo Bri

Re: Bouree’

Post by Neo Bri »

I enjoyed that. Yeah, Rostropovich is a killer and his cello suites are really great. I'd say the challenge with these is phrasing them. Cellists can kind of play endlessly. The Rostropovich recording of the sarabande from the 5th suite is a good example of that. Very hard to emulate on trombone.
GBP

Post by GBP »

The phrasing is a challenge. I need to learn to play softer as a default when doing stuff like this. I have an ensemble mindset and need to add solo mindset to the tool belt.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

I've really been enjoying this one lately:

I think it's cheeky character is a good model for the bass trombone (especially the da capo). People usually play this too heavy for me. It's wit, not epiphany. Save the gravitas for the heavier movements.
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony
GBP

Post by GBP »

Kdanielsen wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:02 pm I've really been enjoying this one lately:

I think it's cheeky character is a good model for the bass trombone (especially the da capo). People usually play this too heavy for me. It's wit, not epiphany. Save the gravitas for the heavier movements.

I like that sound of effortless playing. I am working to get my playing to the point it doesn’t sound like hard work.
Kdanielsen

Post by Kdanielsen »

Easier said than done. Me too!
Kris Danielsen D.M.A.

Westfield State University and Keene State College
Lecturer of Low Brass

Principal Trombone, New England Repertory Orchestra
2nd Trombone, Glens Falls Symphony

Return to “Teaching & Learning”