Trip/Bring Mouthpiece?

How and what to teach and learn.
PaulT

Trip/Bring Mouthpiece?

Post by PaulT »

I am going on four-day trip during which I will either be in a car or on a sailboat. I'm not bringing a horn, for several good reasons. I'm a trombone hobbyist, I don't need to keep my chops in shape... but the trombone has been going good for me lately; my lessons have been going good, community band starts a week after I get back, and I want to keep the progress going and not regress.

- Would bringing along a mouthpiece to buzz on every so often keep my chops where they are (or close)?

- Or is it mouthpiece buzz different enough that the benefit may not be worth the possible aggravation I may cause on the boat?

- Or should not I just not worry about it one way or another as my chops may appreciate the vacation as much I as will.
BGuttman

Re: Trip/Bring Mouthpiece?

Post by BGuttman »

I wouldn't worry too much for 4 days. Just remember that you will need to dial back the extreme range and don't push endurance for a couple of days when you get back. Should be back up to snuff in a couple of days of practice.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

There’s something to be said for a short break.
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

(specifically, I have just started to be able to bank my high "G". And the high Bb is there almost regularly, sort of. But, anyway, well, G has finally become just another note and I want it to still be there when we play Sabres and Spurs the first week of band.)
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Freebuzz for just 1 minute, 2 or 3 times a day.
Leave your horn and mouthpiece at home.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Conn100HGuy

Post by Conn100HGuy »

I took a MP on a 2-week trip and buzzed about 5-10 minutes into a washcloth 4-5 times while we were gone. I really think it helped, mentally if not physically!
Onward and Upward
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Thanks, all!

Leaving the horn and mouthpiece. Bringing my harmonica. And I'll mix in a little free buzzing!

Return to “Teaching & Learning”