Embouchure angle finding method

How and what to teach and learn.
VJOFan

Embouchure angle finding method

Post by VJOFan »

In the linked video, trumpeter Charlie Porter goes through his approach to finding a natural playing angle. This is the sort of thing that I have wondered if any trombonists have done.

I’ve been experimenting with some of the tips here about centring around a mid to high mid range pitch so I don’t know about aiming for “the low c” but otherwise this is at least interesting.
AndrewMeronek

Re: Embouchure angle finding method

Post by AndrewMeronek »

Interesting idea how he tilts the trumpet into playing position. I guess it may be helpful for people who have had their setup messed with in situations like marching band. But in my (limited) experience, if you let a student from a young age play how is most natural to them, this usually isn't an issue.

It's also worth pointing out that in the video Charlie doesn't mention being possibly biased to the right or left also, which for many people will also be correct.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I have had my students say the word "mother" in a relaxed way and ask them to feel where the final sound puts their jaw. Then, keeping their face relatively relaxed, bring the mouthpiece up to the lips. Usually, there is only one setting that will feel right with this approach, and usually it forms a good foundation to discover what works well from.
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone »

Not bad, but he's got a couple of things that I think could be improved on.

1. Skip the blowing air like cooling soup instructions. What is "natural" for an individual to blow air like this isn't necessarily what's going to work best for a brass musician. Much better to simply play a note and move the angle around (and yes, Andrew, left and right too) and see where the sound opens up and works best.

(And also keep in mind that his instruction to place the mouthpiece rim right on the red of his lower lip is also personal to him, mouthpiece placement is unique to the individual).

2. Porter's horn angle may not change much as he changes register, but he's speculating about other people. Some musicians correctly alter their horn angle around when changing registers. Some folks, not as much. It's about where it works for the individual.

Dave
--
David Wilken
https://wilktone.com
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Is “comfort” or “natural” also out? One can get used to anything or not really know what comfortable feels like without comparison or experimentation.

Is embouchure something that almost everyone gets wrong or do a large percentage of people stumble into a reasonable facsimile of their most efficient set up?
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

VJOFan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Is embouchure something that almost everyone gets wrong or do a large percentage of people stumble into a reasonable facsimile of their most efficient set up?
If you run into a teacher who thinks everybody must play 2/3 top lip, then by probability he's probably right for 2/3 of his students. Being told how to do it eliminates the correct stumble as well as the incorrect, maybe.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”