Pedagogy on the Net

How and what to teach and learn.
VJOFan

Pedagogy on the Net

Post by VJOFan »

I recently bumped into Charlie Porter's videos on You Tube. I have (re)-learned a few helpful things from his careful, thorough and well reasoned explanations and demos.

What discoveries have you all made in terms of finding a good tutor online?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBZ6aK ... ocwqAPq2sg
VJOFan

Re: Pedagogy on the Net

Post by VJOFan »

So no one has a favourite channel or video, instagram, blog site...?

As I’m “pre-connected+world-old” I guess I’m over awed by how easy it is to learn ANYTHING with an iPad.

No one else has seen anything worth sharing?
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

Yes. All the posts by Sam Burtis aka Sabutin on the old TTF.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

There are some nice lectures on trombone technique by various people on the Web. But to get the best value from them you need some kind of feedback to show you understood what they said.

I like the couple of videos of Alan Raph.

Also the Carmine Caruso method explanation from Julie Landsman. She plays French Horn, but the information applies to any brass instrument.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

BGuttman wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:02 pm There are some nice lectures on trombone technique by various people on the Web. But to get the best value from them you need some kind of feedback to show you understood what they said.
I know what your saying- having the giver advice right there and having a back and forth is a special kind of learning and can be efficient with the right pair of people.

Having said that, another modern tool I wish I had had when at my most serious is my phone. The recording quality is so high compared to what I was able to get back in the day, and the ability to video at the drop of a hat is a great bit of feedback.

Also just noting the improvement or lack of in sound, ease or feel is useful too.

I think I posted a Bousfield video earlier. Who are some of your favourite lecturers?

Return to “Teaching & Learning”