Question about legato

How and what to teach and learn.
Jose999

Question about legato

Post by Jose999 »

Hi! First of all sory with my English :D
my teacher taught me that the articulation of legato should be used even when it is not necessary (example F-G) to soften and equalize the sound crossing harmonics, as an example in the rochut melodies.
My question is in what moments then should be use the natural legato without tongue?

Thanks
BGuttman

Re: Question about legato

Post by BGuttman »

I never use "natural legato" except in very fast passages where it's tough to tongue. I was also taught to use a legato tongue at all times. I even use it on Euphonium.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I was also taught that way, but there are different approaches and opinions.
F to G works with no tongue, but a cleaner natural slur is G to F, and my most common use of natural slurs is when descending with the slide coming in. I think I almost always tongue if the slide is going out.

There is not one correct answer. Learn to play different ways so you can choose what works best for you.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 am
There is not one correct answer. Learn to play different ways so you can choose what works best for you.
I can't remember how I was taught, it was a long long time ago.. But on top of the soft tongue and fast slide approach I use "air notes", which is starting a note with a very gentle "ah" or "ha". I practice scales and jazz approach and enclosure ex's using this technique and have found that it has other benefits, cleaner tonguing being just one.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 am I was also taught that way, but there are different approaches and opinions.
F to G works with no tongue, but a cleaner natural slur is G to F, and my most common use of natural slurs is when descending with the slide coming in. I think I almost always tongue if the slide is going out.

I have changed the way I play legato. When I first learned I was taught to not use the tongue at all for playing legato, later I was taught to tongue with a smooth legato tongue.

A couple of years ago I recorded myself and put a few recordings on old TTF and got help to improve my legato. I got many good advice. One was to read literature on the subject by Jay Freeman. This was an eye opener. Now I often don't tongue at all when notes ascend and slide go out or when notes descend and slide go in. In other cases I may or may not use the tongue, it depends, but much less of it than before.

When tempo is fast I may tongue more frequently. It will be more of a semi legato. I might put up a recording again to get more criticism. Just need the time.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Tue May 28, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Doug Elliott wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 am There is not one correct answer. Learn to play different ways so you can choose what works best for you.
Bingo.

I was taught to use the tongue in legato only when needed to cover a gliss. Basically.

That's my preferred method to teach. More or less.

Except that in a fast legato passage I will tongue every note. Usually.

It's all about getting the sound you want. Let that be your guide, and try everything.
bsantero

Post by bsantero »

GabeLangfur wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:15 am
Doug Elliott wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 am There is not one correct answer. Learn to play different ways so you can choose what works best for you.
Bingo.

I was taught to use the tongue in legato only when needed to cover a gliss. Basically.

That's my preferred method to teach. More or less.

Except that in a fast legato passage I will tongue every note. Usually.

It's all about getting the sound you want. Let that be your guide, and try everything.
I third what Doug and Gabe agree: it all depends on the end product of how it sounds. Tonguing all of notes is a different sound to natural slurs, just as downbows don't sound exactly like upbows (though ideally, you're able to convincely sound the same). Try passages in different techniques or combinations of them until it serves the music.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I'll jump in just to give a thumbs up for the responses that advocate learning both legato methods. I was taught to use legato tongue exclusively in my early training, but the lip slur whenever possible method was becoming the more accepted way during my university years. I find occasions to use each, depending on what feels best, or sounds best (hopefully both). No matter what, it's a good idea to use good lips slurs as an example for your legato tongue - try to get them to sound the same to have some consistency when you switch between slurring and tonguing.

Jim Scott

Return to “Teaching & Learning”