Brass Embouchure Pedagogy Workshop

How and what to teach and learn.
Wilktone

Brass Embouchure Pedagogy Workshop

Post by Wilktone » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 am

I will be hosting a free Zoom workshop on brass embouchure pedagogy on Saturday, April 17, at 1:30 PM Eastern time It will start with a presentation on basic brass embouchure patterns and the pedagogical implications of understanding these types. We'll follow up with a Q&A session. If you have your instrument with you we'll spend some time at the end playing "guess the embouchure type."

In 1997, while working on my doctorate at Ball State University, I was fortunate enough to get a lesson with Doug Elliott, which transformed my playing. A year later I interviewed Doug for my dissertation, "The correlation between Doug Elliott's embouchure types and selected playing and physical characteristics among trombonists." The information that Doug has shared with me, and many other people on this forum and elsewhere, is not well understood by the field as a whole. However, it is no more difficult to follow than basic music theory and is something that even non-brass playing band directors can implement in their teaching.

Space is limited, so if you'd like to reserve a spot please go to the following page and fill out the contact form. I will email you the Zoom info later.

https://wilktone.com/?p=6689

Dave
David Wilken
www.wilktone.com
Neo Bri

Re: Brass Embouchure Pedagogy Workshop

Post by Neo Bri » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:21 am

Sounds interesting. Thanks for doing it.
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:07 am

If you're interested in this workshop there are still a few spaces open, but my web site currently is down (working on getting that fixed, it seems to be on the Wordpress end of things). In the mean time, I'll make a point to log in here and check for private messages, so you can contact me that way to reserve a spot. I'll need your email address to send you the Zoom link later, so please include that.

Dave
David Wilken
www.wilktone.com
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:49 am

Everything seems to be back online now. Using the contact form in my web site here is the best way to sign up for a slot:

https://wilktone.com/?p=6689

But I'll continue to check for private messages here.

Dave
David Wilken
www.wilktone.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:52 pm

I was thinking it was today, and then realized it's APRIL 17
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:05 pm

Yes, next month. I will email out Zoom links to everyone who has signed up when we get closer. Doug, your space is reserved.
David Wilken
www.wilktone.com
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:17 am

The workshop has filled up (I capped it at 20 participants). Since there seems to be enough interest I am considering running another one at a later date. If you're interested and weren't able to make it into this workshop and would like me to do another one feel free to let me know here.

Dave
David Wilken
www.wilktone.com
Rusty

Post by Rusty » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:26 am

Would this be recorded and available to watch at a later date?
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:01 am

Maybe. More likely I'll just run another one, since there seems to be enough interest.
David Wilken
www.wilktone.com
Wilktone

Post by Wilktone » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:24 am

I have sent an email to everyone who is registered for the upcoming brass embouchure pedagogy workshop I'm hosting. It contains the Zoom link and some info about what we'll be covering. If you have registered for this workshop and didn't get the email please check your spam folder first and if you don't see it, contact me.
David Wilken
www.wilktone.com

Return to “Teaching & Learning”