Aperture shape

How and what to teach and learn.
Elow

Aperture shape

Post by Elow » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:57 pm

So, brian hecht has a model that he drew of what he thinks is the most effective aperture. I think it’s great, and i love that he drew it out because that really helps me understand it. I’m just a little confused about it. The hole is a circle, but my aperture is not a circle, or anything close to it. Mine is more like a football, and i’m not sure if i’m doing something wrong, or if it’s personal. I would love to hear others thought, and maybe a certain embouchure guru ;) He showed me it in a lesson but i think he posted it on his instagram, i’ll post it if i can find it
Attachments
85CE9406-CBA5-436E-B5A5-32B1BB41EF70.png
85CE9406-CBA5-436E-B5A5-32B1BB41EF70.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 548 times
harrisonreed

Re: Aperture shape

Post by harrisonreed » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:32 pm

I don't 100% agree with that. If all the forces went to the center like that you'd end up with a duck face.

I'm not saying Brian Hecht doesn't know what he's talking about (far from it), but I don't think that diagram is a good representation of an embouchure.

There is an entire component (or three) missing from that diagram. It doesn't show how the aperture is moved up or down in relation to the teeth, or how the angle of the aperture (into the mouthpiece cup) is controlled, or the shelf of the chin is maintained.

The aperture is not a circle, but he might just be using a symbol to represent it. To me the embouchure is a crescent shaped space between the two shelves formed by the lips, and it MUST be dynamic. The space not only needs to get wider and thinner, but also must angle up and down.

He's telling people to not stretch the lips across the teeth, which is good, but there is so much more to it than that.
mrdeacon

Post by mrdeacon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:23 pm

harrisonreed wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:32 pm
The aperture is not a circle, but he might just be using a symbol to represent it.
From what I've seen on social media he is a very visual-based/mental picture kinda guy. I don't like that diagram either. Though I'm sure for certain people it will make things click for them!
Rath R1 2000s, Elliott XT
Bach 42B 1977, Elliott XT
Holton TR185 1968, Elliott XB
Holton 169 1965, Elliott LB
Minick Bass Trombone 1980s, Elliott LB
paulyg

Post by paulyg » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:41 pm

Yeah, that's not very instructive. It obviously works for him- but I have a feeling he's got some work to do on communicating what he's actually doing.
Paul Gilles
Aerospace Engineer & Trombone Player
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:25 pm

Most players and teachers have no idea what they're actually doing, they just use the "mental picture" approach.

I have only seen one player who actually had a pretty much round aperture. If I can find that video in an old hard drive, I'll try to post a picture.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”