Jerome Callet (1930—2019)

Discuss the people that make the music here.
LarryPrestonRoberson

Jerome Callet (1930—2019)

Post by LarryPrestonRoberson »

R.I.P. Jerome Callet.

I missed this somehow. Another great designer/player has left us.
Posaunus

Re: Jerome Callet (1930—2019)

Post by Posaunus »

I somehow came into possession of a Jerome Callet "Magnum 7B" mouthpiece. A bit strange - sort of a 6¾ on steroids. Slightly oversize shank. Not quite sure where to use it.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Posaunus wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:08 am I somehow came into possession of a Jerome Callet "Magnum 7B" mouthpiece. A bit strange - sort of a 6¾ on steroids. Slightly oversize shank. Not quite sure where to use it.
That's interesting. I attended a masterclass by Callet and he had a line of mouthpieces to sell but not that name. I wound up with something that was similar in size to a Bach 4G Megatone. I tried it for a while, but decided i preferred my Wick 4BS to it. Mine had a number that was similar to the rim diameter in millimeters.

Callet was active in the New York scene for many years. I remember being at a NYBCFS one year and being invited to join him, Charles Colin, and Don Butterfield for lunch (I can't figure out why I was invited; it's like being asked to play a round of golf with Ernie Els, Tiger Woods, and Jack Nicklaus when you are a 53 handicap). It was certainly an interesting meal. I spent the whole time listening.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
torobone

Post by torobone »

One of my mentors is a huge Jerry Callet fan. As a trumpet soloist, he owns 4 Callet trumpets. Also, when his Callet trumpet was stolen many years ago, Jerry express shipped his own instrument to him.

He told me that, even as recently as 3 weeks ago, Jerry had phoned him with another idea to try. Jerome Callet was a student of brass pedagogy, and he never stopped learning and experimenting.

After hearing about his death, I went looking for more information, and I found this site. It is for trumpet players, but it contains food for thought for all brass players. This interview is posted there and it contains many ideas worth considering. http://ojtrumpet.net/interview/callet/
Martin Hubel
Tenors: Yamaha 891Z, 354, 697Z (on loan)
Symphony tenors: 1972 Bach 42B, Yamaha 882 GOR (on loan)
Basses: 2011 Yamaha 830 Xeno, 1942 NY Bach 50B
Alto: 1980 Bach 39
Lidl Bass Trumpet (on loan)
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

Bless him!

20 years ago give or take, I had a migraine problem that killed my playing and created a stutter. It was a bad thing.
The playing went first. After much research I discovered tongue controlled embouchure and bought his book. Then I called him and did lessons over the phone. Also bought some lead pipes that are still in the drawer.

After I figured it out I altered the process to fit my needs. I keep the tip of my tongue anchored behind my lower teeth and articulate with the dorsal part of my tongue.

Soon after my voice went bad with a stutter. I started using the same tongue anchored method to speak.

I have had two students with stutters since and taught them the same skill. Both became good players and really got of there shell once it was easy to speak.

Amazing person!
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile

Return to “Musicians”