Wonderful, unique trombone sound of this young woman from Spain

Discuss the people that make the music here.
TillE

Wonderful, unique trombone sound of this young woman from Spain

Post by TillE »

Her singing recalling Astrud Gilberto and others has however, an enchantment of it's own

norbie2018

Re: Wonderful, unique trombone sound of this young woman from Spain

Post by norbie2018 »

I was considering posting this link but you beat me to it. It is beautiful and unique.
Slideorama

Post by Slideorama »

đź‘Ť
Michael Lawson
Freelance Trombonist
Dallas - Ft. Worth, TX
SaigonSlide

Post by SaigonSlide »

She’s Brazilian, and played a lot with Joan Chamorro. YouTube has a lot of videos.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

She's actually from Barcelona. I met her at the ITF in Valencia. A very natural player and wonderful musician.

Anybody else notice something odd? Unless the pitch was changed on the video, her trombone is in B. Being in Spain it would not have surprised me too much if it was in C... But no, 1st position is playing B and F#.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Rita Payés: http://itfvalencia2015.com/rita-payes/
Now almost 20 years old. Sings in Catalan, Portuguese, and English.
Another in Joan Chamorro's string of jazz prodigies. Her first recording with him - age 14!
(See Andrea Motis - trumpet & vocals).

I have never seen a trombone like Rita's - or her sometimes unconventional grip. (Look carefully.)

Congratulations to Doug Elliott for noting the unusual tuning of this trombone (if it's real).

Very nice, listenable singing and playing. Lots of YouTube recordings. We'll hear more from her. :good:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

In Latin countries it's not uncommon to have trombones in C (although usually valve trombones). It's possible she pulled the tuning slide out some to get to B in order to mate better with the guitar. But it's also possible that the clip is not true pitch.

Very nice playing in any case and a lovely singing voice.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

It looks likes she's playing in the key of A, but it's sounding in Bb. Maybe it was altered post production somehow, It's also a Kuhnl and Hoyer tbn.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Here's another nice video, she's playing a Bb horn, the song is in F. She's a very talented musicial young lady.
pfrancis

Post by pfrancis »

Pitch is certainly altered again here. Trumpet player starts the tune with a sounding G with 2&3 valves down...

In any case she sounds great. Particularly when singing.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

pfrancis wrote: ↑Mon May 06, 2019 5:20 pm Pitch is certainly altered again here. Trumpet player starts the tune with a sounding G with 2&3 valves down...
Wonder why they'd alter the pitch?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

To beat an algorithm?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

harrisonreed wrote: ↑Mon May 06, 2019 10:18 pm To beat an algorithm?
what algorithm? You might be right, but the videos are posted by what looks like her official account.

Really strange.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

I think it's to do with the differences that audio is sampled at in video formats, as opposed to stand alone audio. Normal video being at 48kHz and audio at 44.1 88.2 and 96kHz. In this instance I suspect that a box wasn't checked to align the 2 sample rates which will change the audio. This can be done either when the video is rendered or when uploaded to YouTube.
It's a good idea check that the audio format on the video camera is set to 44.1kHz to avoid these issue from the off. Also, it used to be true that the conversion from 48 to 44kHz resulted in a slight loss of quality, I don't know if that's still the case today.

Then there's mp3 formats which may have some bearing as well...
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Thank you very much for the track in the OP. That was so worth a listen!
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

This young musician, who sounds so “natural”, is a product of music education at its finest. I have been doing a lot of listening the last couple days and exploring what was really going on. Ms. Payes is one of a bunch of incredible sounding young players and vocalists.

This article gives a little insight about what’s happening in Spain and how it is affecting things in Vail.

https://www.vaildaily.com/entertainment ... listening/
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

Pre59 wrote: ↑Tue May 07, 2019 2:45 am I think it's to do with the differences that audio is sampled at in video formats, as opposed to stand alone audio. Normal video being at 48kHz and audio at 44.1 88.2 and 96kHz. In this instance I suspect that a box wasn't checked to align the 2 sample rates which will change the audio. This can be done either when the video is rendered or when uploaded to YouTube.
It's a good idea check that the audio format on the video camera is set to 44.1kHz to avoid these issue from the off. Also, it used to be true that the conversion from 48 to 44kHz resulted in a slight loss of quality, I don't know if that's still the case today.

Then there's mp3 formats which may have some bearing as well...
Here's a post from a recording forum, and this topic was once quite common..

"I recently recorded vocals on a song clocked at 44.1 but was supposed to be at 48k. In the studio, while recording the vocals, the song was playing back slower (makes sense because it wasn't clocking correctly) and we liked it! So we finished tracking vocals to the incorrect sample rate on purpose.

My problem is, tuning the vocals. Because of the pitch shift which occurs when changing sample rates like that, the song is now between keys."
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

This piece deserves a topic of its' own?
Gary

Post by Gary »

I enjoyed the links and really applaud the nurturing.

But I would like to know, what is so "unique" about her sound? Thanks.
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

Gary wrote: ↑Wed May 22, 2019 10:31 am I enjoyed the links and really applaud the nurturing.

But I would like to know, what is so "unique" about her sound? Thanks.
I mean every sound is unique but that isn't what strikes me about Rita and many of the others in the program.

When I listen to her I really want to hear to the end of her solo. I don't get that feeling all the time with all players.

These kids don't sound like they are running changes or playing patterns, at least not consciously.

In those Abersold books it does talk about the difference between memorizing and internalizing. I would guess that through the aural approach these players have internalized a lot of stuff. When they play, it comes out as personal expression.

I don't know that I could pick out Rita's sound in a blinfold test like I could J.J. or Watrous or Curtis Fuller or Manglesdorf or Wycliffe Gordon etc. but there is definitely something captivating about how she plays.
bsantero

Post by bsantero »

I was quite struck when this video was randomly suggested to me on YouTube; finally, the algorithm got it right for me. She sounds fantastic, and what a musical soul she has! Very excited to hear more from her.
Pre59

Post by Pre59 »

VJOFan wrote: ↑Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am
I don't know that I could pick out Rita's sound in a blinfold test like I could J.J. or Watrous or Curtis Fuller or Manglesdorf or Wycliffe Gordon etc. but there is definitely something captivating about how she plays.
Is she putting the music above the "business" of music? By that I mean, her jazz is at the core and not part of a menu that includes it. She's playing as though she was singing, and that I certainly something that I recognise from my early lessons when asked, "where's the music?"
Gatt

Post by Gatt »

TillE wrote: ↑Sat May 04, 2019 5:32 pm Her singing recalling Astrud Gilberto and others has however, an enchantment of it's own

I didn't know till last week that these two are mother and daughter.

They have just released an album together.

Return to “Musicians”