Amazing Danish bass trombonist!

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Savio

Amazing Danish bass trombonist!

Post by Savio »

Some years ago I got some recordings made by a Danish bass player named Mogens Andresen. Its wonderful playing and he is one of few I have listen that really blends with piano. Its amazing to listen. Maybe its because his intonation is spot on. Anyway it sounds so good!

I wonder if some of you have some info about him? What equipment did he play? I believe the recording is old.

Leif
Basbasun

Re: Amazing Danish bass trombonist!

Post by Basbasun »

I meet Mogens long time ago, in the 70th, in Stockholm. He desingned his own mothpiece, I bought one, to big for me though. he played lefthanded on a trombone with the triggers on the other side. I think it it was a Bosey & Hawk? Maybe Chris know. I dont think he is playing any more though, he did write lots of arraengement and also composed som of his own music. He had a very big tone.
Savio

Post by Savio »

Thanks! Big inspiration to listen how he melt together with piano. Very clean attacks and super intonation. And yes some nice arrangements for quartet. Must be written by him self. I have listen it a lot lately.

Leif
nopos

Post by nopos »

I used to listen to his solo record a lot - some fine playing. At that time (80s) he was playing a Holton TR281 (screw bell, inline valves). Later he played Amrein and now plays a Schagerl. He is still very active in a varied capacity as a performer, arranger, composer and conductor. Check out his Website: https://mogensandresen.dk/

Alf
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

Yes. Mogens Andresen is famous in Scandinavia, he was the father of low bass teaching as professor in the Royal Danish Academy of Music, cultivating many many fine low brass players. He's still going strong, teaching, composing and conducting proffesionals as well amateur bands.

Those who have met him like him very much for his great musicianship, teaching and nice attitude towards any music lover. He's a legend in Scandinavia.

I believe (but may be mistaken) that it is his Amrein single-valve bass trombone that is for sale these days: https://gottfried.dk/en/amrein/

Ultra short CV:

Mogens Andresen trained as a trombonist. After working with the Falster Infantry Regimental Band in Vordingborg and the Malmö Symphony Orchestra, in 1974 Mogens Andresen became a bass trombonist in the Royal Danish Orchestra. In 1988 Mogens Andresen was appointed professor at the Royal Danish Academy of Music in Copenhagen with responsibility for the teaching of brass instruments. Mogens Andresen was a co-founder of Royal Danish Brass (1977) and plays Baroque trombone in the ensembles the Rosenborg Trio and Den Danske Violonbande.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

Ive heared of him. I have one of his solo LP's where he plays the McCarty sonata and "Rock" by Alan Raph as well as barock works on old instruments. It sounds good. I also have a book he wrote about playing a brass instrument. It is in Danish but as a Swede it is possible to understand most of it. Great sound.

/Tom
Tbarh

Post by Tbarh »

I had some lessons with him in the late 90's.. Had been a student of Arnold Jacobs, and has written an illustrated book about breathing called (in danish) "the art of breathing".. I use this book in my teaching... Very good lessons and inspiration..

Return to “Musicians”