Where's John Meyer, Grand Rapids Symphony?

Discuss the people that make the music here.
jph

Where's John Meyer, Grand Rapids Symphony?

Post by jph »

Does anyone know the whereabouts of John Meyer, principal trombone at the Grand Rapids Symphony (Michigan)? John, a Michigan State grad, With the GSO since 1990 seems to have just vanished?
Specialk3700

Re: Where's John Meyer, Grand Rapids Symphony?

Post by Specialk3700 »

I don't know where he is. Last I heard they held auditions for his spot a week ago.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Well, I saw a picture of him burning his tails in a fire pit on Facebook, so I think he is happy with the vanishing.

I think there was another picture of him just a couple of weeks ago with Bob and Dan, so I think he’s just enjoying some time off.

Cheers,
Andy
jph

Post by jph »

Thanks Andy, he is a fine player. The "vanishing" is okay, so long as it is not the permanent kind, like the beloved Murray Crewe.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Check out Judith Meyer on Facebook. I don't think John has his own page. I see the occasional picture as I am friends with Curtis Olson and Dan Mattson. Looks like Dan deleted his page again, so updates will probably be less frequent.

Cheers,
Andy
jph

Post by jph »

Andy,
Dan recently published a well-reviewed (as in positive) book. This may have something to do with his "vanishing" page as some human camps may not like it. It was a courageous feat on his part. It is a sign of our times, you can't have a difference of opinion on something without risking demonization.
The trombone section is very good. Ward, IMO of one...as an former audience member, is very capable of performing in a bigger market, but probably chooses not to. Ward has a Steve Norrell-like technique and sound...again in my opinion of one.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Nah, Dan's kinda hated FB for a long time. He was periodically going dark on there before it was cool. He looks like he deleted just recently again. I was pretty sure he was tagged in the photo and that was posted just a month ago and his book came out a while ago. I did sorta expect him to be around this time of year as he usually plugs a holiday trombone/brass event at a brewery in Grand Rapids.

Cheers,
Andy
trombonejb

Post by trombonejb »

jph wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 pm Does anyone know the whereabouts of John Meyer, principal trombone at the Grand Rapids Symphony (Michigan)? John, a Michigan State grad, With the GSO since 1990 seems to have just vanished?
I know Judith she is a nice person.

Her brother is Randall Hawes - Bass trombone of Detroit Symphony

also who won the grand rapids trombone audition?
Bach 42A - DE Silver XT N104 Rim, XT F+✯Cup, G8 Shank
Fafner

Post by Fafner »

Grand Rapids did not announce a winner.

The best way to get a hold of John is through his wife (they share an email account). So maybe contact her on Facebook if you want to talk to John. Last time I spoke with him they were still living in the same town on the coast of Lake Michigan enjoying life and their pets.
jph

Post by jph »

trombonejb wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:36 pm
jph wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:20 pm Does anyone know the whereabouts of John Meyer, principal trombone at the Grand Rapids Symphony (Michigan)? John, a Michigan State grad, With the GSO since 1990 seems to have just vanished?
I know Judith she is a nice person.

Her brother is Randall Hawes - Bass trombone of Detroit Symphony

also who won the grand rapids trombone audition?
Sister of Randall Hawes...one of the finest in the trade on Bass...that's a hoot. So, if John desires a change from tenor, to bass, he can get some family holiday free refresher lessons :P

Return to “Musicians”