International Trombone Festival 2018

Discuss the people that make the music here.
skinandtrombones

International Trombone Festival 2018

Post by skinandtrombones »

Did anyone here get the opportunity to go to the International Trombone Festival in Iowa this year? If so, Tell me about it.
fsgazda

Re: International Trombone Festival 2018

Post by fsgazda »

I went. It was my 10th ITF I think. I can go more in depth later if you're interested, but in a nutshell, it was a really good festival. Overall I enjoyed the performances a lot, and went to a few excellent sessions. There was one session that disappointed, but I'd rather not go into it. The only thing that I didn't like this year was there was no quiet room in the displays, so when looking at music you were still subjected to aural chaos all around. Lost my voice a couple of times trying to talk to dealers and/or friends at booths.

Every festival that I've attended has had great performances and sessions. The thing that really set this one above several others was the venue, and the proximity of the venue to the restaurants and bars. It was easy to go grab a quick bite, and everyone was in the same area, so I kept running into old friends when I was going for lunch or dinner, which made the festival a great hang.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I went. It was my 45th.
I win.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
PhilE

Post by PhilE »

I was there. My first ITF. Just great. Nothing like it here is Australia. I absolutely enjoyed the presentations and performances and the venue was great.

I don't know how anyone could discern the difference in timbre, tone or anything else when trying out bones or mouthpieces in the vendor's hall. The noise was deafening. I was trying to have a conversation with a sales person and there was bloke standing right behind me blasting out pedals.

My wife and I, son and daughter in law had just spent the previous four weeks touring the Canadian Rocky Mountains with some time in Montana and Seattle. That was also amazing. Met the nicest people. Generally had a great time.

We'll be back.
skinandtrombones

Post by skinandtrombones »

That's awesome. Thank you all for telling me about your experiences. I hope to attend next year in Muncie.
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

Doug Elliott wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:41 pm I went. It was my 45th.
I win.
Lol!
Jgittleson

Post by Jgittleson »

I didn't go this year, but i will be going next year! 2nd time going, first as a vendor!

Return to “Musicians”