Edwin Anderson

Discuss the people that make the music here.
CBW

Edwin Anderson

Post by CBW »

JULY 14, 1933 – OCTOBER 2, 2018

Edwin Dewey Anderson was born on July 14, 1933 in Boston, Massachusetts and passed away on October 2, 2018 in Bloomington, Indiana. Edwin Anderson, bass trombone of Cleveland Orchestra from 1964 to 1985, died yesterday from the effects of a stroke he suffered a couple of weeks ago.

Indiana University 1985-
A member of the Indiana University School of Music faculty, Edwin also performed with the orchestras of Chicago, Boston, New York, Louisville, New Orleans, Buffalo, St. Louis, and Cincinnati.
silversonic88

Re: Edwin Anderson

Post by silversonic88 »

I saw Mr. Anderson perform back in 2006/2007 alongside Allen Kofsky, Ron Bishop, and Jim DeSano at Oberlin for a special "reunion" quartet performance, calling themselves the "Flubba Four". What a phenomenal group and so central to that "Cleveland Sound". It was a privilege to hear and study with them.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

A real gentleman and a great bass trombonist - RIP
sf105

Post by sf105 »

Damn. An excellent person and phenomenal player.
jph

Post by jph »

silversonic88 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 pm I saw Mr. Anderson perform back in 2006/2007 alongside Allen Kofsky, Ron Bishop, and Jim DeSano at Oberlin for a special "reunion" quartet performance, calling themselves the "Flubba Four". What a phenomenal group and so central to that "Cleveland Sound". It was a privilege to hear and study with them.
Per the Plain Dealer,
Kofsky called himself the "garbage man" of the Clev. Orchestra when he was to the go-to for bass trumpet and euphonium, as well as tenor (which he proclaimed he played 99% of the time). He also stated that when he left the KC chair to return home to Cleveland for family business reasons, be subbed for six years in Cleveland...the longest audition in Cleveland history. Humility: Miss it. Humor: Miss it.

Bob Boyd helped me get over a high register (historically a strength) psychosis I had self-developed in my youth via a short series of lessons. Save the detail, but he had me play his King. He took my Holton. "See." It was a pivotal time...and Bob got me through it.

Wonderful group of players, and such a great legacy of performers and teachers.
jph

Post by jph »

jph wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:01 pm
silversonic88 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 pm I saw Mr. Anderson perform back in 2006/2007 alongside Allen Kofsky, Ron Bishop, and Jim DeSano at Oberlin for a special "reunion" quartet performance, calling themselves the "Flubba Four". What a phenomenal group and so central to that "Cleveland Sound". It was a privilege to hear and study with them.
Per the Plain Dealer,
Kofsky called himself the "garbage man" of the Clev. Orchestra when he was to the go-to for bass trumpet and euphonium, as well as tenor (which he proclaimed he played 99% of the time). He also stated that when he left the KC chair to return home to Cleveland for family business reasons, be subbed for six years in Cleveland...the longest audition in Cleveland history. Humility: Miss it. Humor: Miss it.

Bob Boyd helped me get over a high register (historically a strength) psychosis I had self-developed in my youth via a short series of lessons. Save the detail, but he had me play his King. He took my Holton. "See." It was a pivotal time...and Bob got me through it.

Wonderful group of players, and such a great legacy of performers and teachers.
Based on the latest principal trombone player revelation, I am going to have to strike the last sentence in my previous post here. The legacy has just struck a brick wall.
Fafner

Post by Fafner »

I'm sad to hear of Ed Anderson's passing. He was always kind and approachable.
Fafner

Post by Fafner »

jph

Post by jph »

Fafner wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:25 pm I'm sad to hear of Ed Anderson's passing. He was always kind and approachable.
The best almost always are...of course, that doesn't mean they won't take you to task if you try unauthorized short cuts in your lessons.
Cordelld

Post by Cordelld »

What a fantastic player and nice guy.
His playing on the Tchaikovsky 4th Symphony, Cleveland Orchestra - Loren Mazell recording is the “gold standard”

Return to “Musicians”