NY Phil fires 2 players for "misconduct"

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Mikebmiller

NY Phil fires 2 players for "misconduct"

Post by Mikebmiller »

https://www.npr.org/2018/09/17/64874243 ... estigation

No mention of the nature of the "misconduct" and I'm sure there is no point in anyone here speculating, but wow.
Matt K
Verified

Re: NY Phil fires 2 players for "misconduct"

Post by Matt K »

Remember to keep this conversation civil everyone. Everybody here is against sexual abuse.
thatme

Post by thatme »

An interesting side note: the NPR story includes a link to a tax filing by the NY Phil listing its five highest paid musicians as of 2016 (ranging from $410K to $345K)

Centanni - Principal Associate Concertmaster
Brey - Principal Cello
Myers - Principal Horn (former)
Wang - Principal Oboe
McGill - Principal Clarinet

Interesting insight.
Last edited by thatme on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rath R9 Bass
B&S GR-51 BBb Tuba
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

There's a typo there - Myers (was) Principal Horn, and he's no longer there.
thatme

Post by thatme »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:10 am There's a typo there - Myers (was) Principal Horn, and he's no longer there.

Noted, thanks.
Rath R9 Bass
B&S GR-51 BBb Tuba
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

thatme wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:04 am An interesting side note: the NPR story includes a link to a tax filing by the NY Phil listing its five highest paid musicians as of 2016 (ranging from $410K to $345K)

Brey - Principal Cello
Myers - Principal Cello
Wang - Principal Oboe

Interesting insight.
This is more or less normal, with concertmaster (which was vacant at this time I believe) first. Principal Oboe is usually the highest paid woodwind player. Principal Trumpet is often in the top 5, but Phil Myers was there for a long time...until he was sent packing for misconduct.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

thatme wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:04 am An interesting side note: the NPR story includes a link to a tax filing by the NY Phil listing its five highest paid musicians as of 2016 (ranging from $410K to $345K)

Brey - Principal Cello
Myers - Principal Horn (former)
Wang - Principal Oboe

Interesting insight.
Being highly paid can make you think you're more irreplaceable than you really are.

Numerous recent example of that in the entertainment field.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Schlitz

Post by Schlitz »

Last edited by Schlitz on Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jph

Post by jph »

Hey, they can always work at Starbucks...like many Music Majors today. Ooops, that's right Kevin Johnson would fire you in a nano-second, union or no union. The best EEO/OFCCP defense would be to claim a new religion, the Libido Deprived Church, or alternatively a protected class status...oh yeah, it would be hard to prove "minority status" in this instance. Finally, the accused counsel could plea, "cultural differences", you know...internationally it is standard operating procedure to endorse quid pro quo, so lighten up.
The BSO (Baltimore) is among the most highly financially leveraged majors out there...they can ill afford this nonsense. Relatively weak Corporate support in a town that has a host of highly publicized problems.

The sea of grey audiences generally will not react well to this, however given the proclivity of reports I think we have a new national promotional opportunity in the making here. Orchestras, in full cooperation with the AFM (per a Memo of Understanding), can launch a "guess who's the creeper" promotion. Audience members can circle the name(s) on the program's roster and turn it in for a chance at prizes. Limit of two submissions per season, but four for subscribers. Corporate sponsors can also participate, but their award will be a 10% reduction of their annual pledge.
Plenty of fiddle players out there. Zap. Next.
Plenty of players out there. Zap. Next.

Line up 90 players from a good regional orchestra (tenured and contracted) against a Major, and the blindfolded average audience member could not tell the difference. I am reminded of one the Pittsburgh Symphony strikes where musicians picketed outside the downtown Heinz Hall, only to be told by other unionized workers...commuting in for the day...to get the H-- back to work. One was carrying an old-fashioned lunch bucket (the Pittsburgh sterotype). The Press had published many of their salaries. The latest strike in that town had these same fools claiming that they would lose "world class" artists. First, that's a subjective, poorly measured criterion. Second, and most damning, the markets do not require it...only some rich parents thinking their kid is the next Mozart...and a handful of Elites. Again, NOT the average audience member.
The NY Phily salaries, for example, are pumped up because of the ridiculous cost-of-living, so one has to temper judgments in that regard. However, a third of a million dollars is what I would expect an assistant surgeon to make annually in saving our kids lives at the operating table. Frankly, a business executive in this range would more often than not be responsible for hundreds of employees, and in turn the welfare of their families. The principal clarinet does not have that life responsibility on their shoulders. Count your blessings, "Artists" and do something MORE productive with your time besides whining, conjuring up vicarious thrills and biting the hands that feed you.

Return to “Musicians”