Favourite jazz musicians on other instruments

Discuss the people that make the music here.
havard

Favourite jazz musicians on other instruments

Post by havard »

Would like know some of your favourites on other instruments that inspire you. I listen a lot of guitar players, f ex metheny, Stern, scofield and various blues guitarists. I like the melodic approach they have . And nobody play blues like they do . In blues i think guitar is some way a relative to our instrument . Like expression, bends on the tone etc.i also listen a lot and get inspired by the lines and harmonical virtuosity of saxophone players . Bird , coltrane , Phil Woods, stan getz, brecker . I listen more to saxophone players than trombonists .
AndrewMeronek

Re: Favourite jazz musicians on other instruments

Post by AndrewMeronek »

The people I listen to tend to nowadays tend to be more about musical and compositional variety than being technical masters. Some of them certainly are technical masters, but that's not why I go back and re-listen.

For example, yesterday I checked out Eddie Daniels with the Harlem Quartet at the Detroit Jazz Fest. I dug that a lot, not just because Daniels is freakishly great on clarinet, but because it was an interesting, well-rounded show and Daniels' playing emphasized the thought put into it rather than overshadowing it.
“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk
Slyde

Post by Slyde »

Too many to say. I move around bingeing on different players at different times. Current fave is Tom Harrell.
One of the most amazing improvisers ever, plus his lines will translate to trombone playing, not necessarily so for sax and guitar.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

Lee Morgan & Freddie Hubbard - tpt
George Adams, Wilton Felder - Tenor sax
Herbie Hancock - piano/keys
just to name a few

Return to “Musicians”