RIP - Don Renshaw

Discuss the people that make the music here.
CalgaryTbone

RIP - Don Renshaw

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I just heard (on Slippedisk) that Don Renshaw, the Principal Trombone of the National Arts Centre Orchestra in Ottawa, Ontario has passed away after a battle with cancer.

Don and I were students together at Juilliard in the late 70's/early 80's, both students of Ed Herman. We both ended up having careers in Canadian orchestras, and would run into one another every so often. He was always the friendly, quiet guy that I knew in school with a good, slightly self-deprecating sense of humour. My favourite line that I remember from him was when we got a drink on the night before a Montreal Symphony principal trombone audition. He happened to also be filling in that week in the vacant principal chair, and had played Bolero all that week. I asked him "how was it"? He replied - "it certainly re-defines terror!" A sentiment we could all identify with, and i know he was being modest, as I'm sure he had nailed it.

He was a fine player, a great guy and the kind of colleague that we all appreciate having around us. We lost a "good one" this past week. I'm thinking of his family, especially at this season in this difficult time. RIP Don.

Jim Scott
2bobone

Re: RIP - Don Renshaw

Post by 2bobone »

He happened to also be filling in that week in the vacant principal chair, and had played Bolero all that week. I asked him "how was it"? He replied - "it certainly re-defines terror!" A sentiment we could all identify with, and i know he was being modest, as I'm sure he had nailed it.

I had a great laugh reading that quote ! Bob Isele, who was my section mate in the NSO after a long career with The U.S. Marine Band as their trombone soloist once described his orchestral career in these words : "Long periods of sheer boredom interspersed with moments of sheer terror " ! RIP old friend !

Return to “Musicians”