Frank Rosolino played flugabone

Discuss the people that make the music here.
TromboneSam

Frank Rosolino played flugabone

Post by TromboneSam »

Picked up this album the other day and wanted to share it with y’all. Had a look at the liner notes and found them interesting. Who’s to say how “cool” his marching trombone playing was, but I’m sure it was great. I wish I could have heard it. Check the album cover out below if you like. I zoomed in on the last two paragraphs too.

Album is Conversation by Conte Candoli & Frank Rosolino. Note this is the studio album from 1976, not the live album from 1978.

The tune Conversation is scat and is so killing. I wish I could share it with you all. Has anybody found this album on any streaming platform? Maybe one day if I can find this on CD I’ll try to upload some of the tunes to Youtube.

Enough gab.

Doug Elliott

Re: Frank Rosolino played flugabone

Post by Doug Elliott »

I bought that when it was new and listened to it a lot.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I have a copy of the LP - one of my favorites!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Harrison, Feel free to open a new topic about what you mentioned. I think it's worth revisiting periodically myself, though I typically come up with these same answer. Just tangential to this particular topic.

At any rate, this is quite interesting. I'd be interested in hearing someone actually make a flugabone sound good. I liked mine when I had it, but it's not something I'd probably ever play instead of a trombone. Marching baritone maybe, but they're so darn heavy. I have one now that I'm selling because I ended up not using it nearly as much... actually sounds pretty good though. I distinctly remember being back stage with Matt Niess when I was in grad school and he picked one up and shredded some rhythm changes over it. Absolutely blew my mind. Then, of course, there's the JJ album where he has the... trombonium? I can't remember off the top of my head.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

"Then, of course, there's the JJ album where he has the... trombonium? I can't remember off the top of my head."

The album is "Jay & Kai +6" on the Columbia label CL892. Both Jay and Kai play tromboniums on a piece composed and arranged by Kai entitled rather appropriately "Piece For Two Tromboniums". The session players who comprised the +6 part of the band were Urbie Green, Bob Alexander, Eddie Bert and Jimmy Cleveland with Bart Varsalone and Tom Mitchell on bass trombone. If memory serves, I think they also did "My Little Girl" from "Oklahoma" on another album using tromboniums. I'll see if I can locate it.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

OK --- Nobody noticed ----- SO ----- "My Little Girl" was from "Carousel", not "Oklahoma". Nobody noticed.

Return to “Musicians”