Donald W. Kneeburg - Professor of Trombone at USF, Tampa, retired

Discuss the people that make the music here.
hwknapp

Donald W. Kneeburg - Professor of Trombone at USF, Tampa, retired

Post by hwknapp »

Don Kneeburg was my trombone teacher while I attended University of South Florida from 1978 - 1981(where I ultimately earned my BA in Music). Don was a wonderful trombone instructor and all round life mentor. This is from his Obituary in 2020:

Don William Kneeburg, 81, passed away peacefully on August 5, 2020.

Don was born in Asheville, North Carolina on August 26, 1938 to Roy and Sarah Kneeburg. As a young boy, Don was introduced to music singing in the church choir where his mother was the organist. Unlike other kids his age, he listened to classical music on his transistor radio which began his love for the arts.

He joined the school band and focused on learning euphonium until the day his dad came home with a trombone at which time he found his calling. Throughout his school years he served as band officer, student conductor and participated in All-State Bands and various summer music camps.

In 1957, Don attended Lenoir Rhyne College in Hickory, North Carolina. As a music education major, he played his first ‘paid gigs’ with the Kampus Kats. He was also tour manager and a member of his college choir. In 1960, he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts Degree and was accepted to Indiana University as a graduate student. Don was a member of the Beversdorf Trombone Trio, was a graduate assistant, and in 1962 earned a Master of Music with Performer’s Certificate from the prestigious IU School of Music.

Don’s first official teaching position was at the University of Kansas teaching trombone, euphonium and tuba, as well as class instruction in brass instrument techniques. In the fall of 1965, Don returned to Indiana University as a faculty member, quite an honor!

In 1968 Don was offered the position of Assistant Professor of Music at the relatively new institution, the University of South Florida in Tampa. During his tenure at USF, he taught trombone, euphonium and tuba, music education courses, was Director of Wind Ensemble II, served as Acting Director of Bands, Director of the Brass Choir and was Music Director of Summer Theatre USF. He played professionally in the Tampa Bay area as Principal Trombonist with both the Florida Orchestra and West Coast Symphony, with numerous visiting professional acts, and with the community organization Sunshine Brass.

Don’s first love was music. He continued to play even after more than 30 years of teaching. But Don loved other things as well: world travel, cooking (and eating!!), brass banding, history, nature, camping, hiking, and volunteering. He was modestly proud of the 40 mile trek he made at the age of 70 to Machu Picchu. He was very handy; he and his wife together built their dream log home in Wyoming where they lived for the last 20 years. He was an active member of the Platte County (WY) Historical Society, volunteered for seniors delivering meals and served on the Platte County Library Board, all the while, continuing to play his much-loved trombone.

Don was fun and funny. His sense of humor was dry and witty. He was kind and compassionate. He loved animals. He loved his wife and children.

Hundreds of students were influenced by Don, not only by his teaching of music, but by being a life mentor:

“Your quiet confidence, humility and professionalism have helped to make me who I am today”.

“Don was the greatest musical mentor I could have ever asked for in this life. He guided me through literature and encouraged me every step of the way”.

Don had a life-long impact on so many: his students, his colleagues, his community and his family. So many young people attending college often needed more than just the teachings of the instrument; some were quite lost. He had the ability to see the potential in these students, many who are now music educators, professional players in US military bands and in orchestras around the world.

Return to “Musicians”