Want to get more involved in music

Discuss the people that make the music here.
ChuckTbone

Want to get more involved in music

Post by ChuckTbone »

Hey guys! I really just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions about how I can get more involved in music. My high school band activities seem so boring to me anymore. I’m in my local colleges community band, I take private lessons and go to any camps I can. I’m trying out for numerous more events within our school, state band program, and within the country such as the macys great American marching band. Id still love to do more to grow and improve my love of music though. If anyone had any ideas or tips of what I should do that would be great!

Thanks,
Chuck
hyperbolica

Re: Want to get more involved in music

Post by hyperbolica »

Start a group outside of school. Like a trio or quartet. Just other people you know who play.

You could start arranging music, that's fun. Go to musescore.com

Try recording some multitrack stuff.

Get into instrument repair. Help your band director or volunteer at a local shop.

Tons of stuff that's fun and challenging.

Let us know what happens.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Chuck,
Proud of you.
Where are you located?
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

May want to check for local church bands/orchestras. They run the gamut from fully scored orchestra groups to basically improve worship bands. I’ve mostly been in the improve type, have had as little to go by as a song list only, a song list with notations of what key the songs are in, and handy dandy chord sheets with lyrics. Primarily have guitars, keyboards, and drums, in the groups I’m usually in, and we have had occasional other brass players or a sax player. This setting can give you lots of flexibility and is a good learning experience.

Return to “Musicians”