YAY John Lofton

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Jimprindle

YAY John Lofton

Post by Jimprindle »

In the latest International Musician Publication, there is John Lofton with his bass trombone. Wow!

His article about increasing diversity in symphonic orchestras is incredible, I encourage all union members to read it, he is right on point.

I first met Mr. Lofton at the Halifax audition in 1978. I could tell you some stories about that but it would be boring except to him and me. At any rate he did up being one of the finalists. Me and another wannabe snuck into the balcony of the theater while they were adjudicating the finalists. He was definitely the best player.

But he went on to play in Honolulu, I think a better choice of Island 😄. I next ran into him at the Phoenix audition, which he won, and I told him that I thought he should’ve been the guy the won that Halifax audition. But he just shrugged of course.

My mentor and teacher was Jeff Reynolds, I am so proud that Mr. Lofton followed him and became a leader in that orchestra .

Read the article, he is so well spoken.
Posaunus

Re: YAY John Lofton

Post by Posaunus »

The LA Philharmonic trombone section (Rejano, Miller, Lofton) is great to listen to.
3 different personalities, but they make wonderful music together.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:37 pm The LA Philharmonic trombone section (Rejano, Miller, Lofton) is great to listen to.
Don't forget Paul Radke, who has been the full time 2nd trombone player for 6 years!!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:01 pm
Posaunus wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:37 pm The LA Philharmonic trombone section (Rejano, Miller, Lofton) is great to listen to.
Don't forget Paul Radke, who has been the full time 2nd trombone player for 6 years!!
Sorry Paul - my oversight. Quite a quartet of tromboniana! Hard-working, talented, versatile. Great team.

Return to “Musicians”