My Two Favorite Underappreciated Albums

Discuss the people that make the music here.
npowloski

My Two Favorite Underappreciated Albums

Post by npowloski »

One album by Chris Washburne is a trombone sound, with a bit more of a bop to it compared other salsa artists. I bought it years ago at a store called "Post Hip Music" in Portland, OR.

Jorgen van Rijen has one of the clearest trombone sounds in the world. It is on great display here on his sackbutt album.

Briande

Re: My Two Favorite Underappreciated Albums

Post by Briande »

I know it’s valve trombone but it’s damn good:

I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
npowloski

Post by npowloski »

I love it! Thanks for sharing, I won't hold the valves against it.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

A church, an organ, a trombone, and two omni mics in the center of the church. This album is skipped over by most, but I think BIS was pushing the envelope the entire way. It has a piece written specifically for the 36H alto, a few standards from Liszt, and then pieces like this, where they took away all the mics and tech and just put your ears in the middle of the church.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

harrisonreed wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:30 pm

A church, an organ, a trombone, and two omni mics in the center of the church. This album is skipped over by most, but I think BIS was pushing the envelope the entire way. It has a piece written specifically for the 36H alto, a few standards from Liszt, and then pieces like this, where they took away all the mics and tech and just put your ears in the middle of the church.
agreed about this one- really fantastic on every front and Jorgen's Sackbutt album! Totally amazing playing.

on classical playing Rick Stout and Tina Dahl's album is really amazing. Especially considering they recorded it about a year after Rick returned to playing and the orchestra after a multiyear injury leave. Whole thing is great, but Rick and Tina on the Creston are fantastic- can really hear they've been playing together for a few decades.

I love all of George Lewis's output, but his first solo record is a really special album too. think he was like 22 or such. just incredible for someone so young.

trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
Briande

Post by Briande »

npowloski wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:36 pm I love it! Thanks for sharing, I won't hold the valves against it.
I should have mentioned it’s Raul de Souza before he started going by that name.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
Joebone

Post by Joebone »

Seconded on Raul da Souza - always one of my favorites, particularly on the slide.

Meanwhile, here's a Jimmy Knepper album that merits the broadest possible attention - this is just the title tune, but the entire album is superb...

And while my tastes in classical playing may not be well formed, Bill Booth's album - "Balancing Act" - has struck me as far more musical and compelling than others that I have heard.
rickfaulknernyc

Post by rickfaulknernyc »

Man, y'all are hitting some of my favorites here! I've had both the Knepper and Lewis records since the 80's, and the Raulzinho one is a classic of the "hard Bossa" of the 60's in Brazil. I've been meaning to get the Van Rijen, too. Here's a favorite of mine, from the great Cuban trombonist Generoso Jimenez:

To my ears, he's mostly playing valve trombone on this album (every other recording I know he's playing slide) but he's still swinging!
rickfaulknernyc

Joebone wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:26 pm Meanwhile, here's a Jimmy Knepper album that merits the broadest possible attention - this is just the title tune, but the entire album is superb...
Another great Knepper album from this period is Jimmy Knepper in L.A., also quintet (with Lew Tabackin). Couldn't find any samples on YouTube, but it rivals Cunningbird in quality.
rickfaulknernyc

And a reggae classic from Rico Rodriguez, Roots to the Bone:

LetItSlide

Post by LetItSlide »

Urbie Green - Let's Face the Music and Dance. Very mainstream of course but Urbie's playing is stunningly beautiful.
dukesboneman

Post by dukesboneman »

I know it`s not a "Trombone" recording but the playing is INCREDIBLE !!
Trombonjon

Post by Trombonjon »

Right There by Steve Turre and New Friends by Fred Wesley. If I could choose a third, it would probably be Trombone Man by the late Juan Pablo Torres.

Return to “Musicians”