Chicago Symphony Orchestra Brass

Discuss the people that make the music here.
BGuttman

Chicago Symphony Orchestra Brass

Post by BGuttman »

Here's a nice history of the Chicago Symphony Brass. Includes an interview with Jay Friedman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_cI0sUnLco
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Savio

Re: Chicago Symphony Orchestra Brass

Post by Savio »

Thanks for the link. I always had a weakness for the Chicago Brass. Team work in the most advanced form. Amazing Jay Friedman!

Incredible that the unity of the brass was there from the beginning of the orchestra historie

Another link that came up some days ago;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMjFJE0UQek

Leif
Boneuphtoner

Post by Boneuphtoner »

Such a treat to hear Jay as well as the legendary voices from the past in Bud and Arnold - thanks so much for sharing!
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

This came up on my You Tube too. Later, a 2014ish documentary on the making of a multi orchestra Gabrieli brass recording (with all the big guns present) also popped up.

The thing with this level of player that always comes through is their attitude:humble, thankful for what they have and aware that there is a certain amount of good fortune involved in what they have achieved. That is combined with a dedication to making the music they play whole and beautiful each time they play.

Is it that part of making great orchestral music is being a great person, or does spending your life in what is a wonderful existence (a full contract orchestra position is a nice lifestyle) make you great?
calcbone

Post by calcbone »

VJOFan wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:26 pm
The thing with this level of player that always comes through is their attitude:humble, thankful for what they have and aware that there is a certain amount of good fortune involved in what they have achieved. That is combined with a dedication to making the music they play whole and beautiful each time they play.

Is it that part of making great orchestral music is being a great person, or does spending your life in what is a wonderful existence (a full contract orchestra position is a nice lifestyle) make you great?
I recently had a thought kind of related to this… I believe a person’s personality comes through in their sound. My favorite sounds, like George Curran’s for example, are warm, relaxed, and seem to invite the listener in. Coincidentally, these often belong to people who also have warm, inviting personalities.
=Tommy=
Trombone, stats, & precalculus

Bach 8 NY
King 3B Silversonic
Bach 36 MV
Shires dual bore/Thayer/1G
Bach 50A3/Edwards slide
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

I was very fortunate to hear the CSO brass concert this year. On speaking with my Father-In-Law (who is a percussion playing retired school band director) and mentioning that I had attended, he said "they have a very aggressive brass section".

Having listened to many recordings covering many years, and having heard the brass live numerous times now, that word is not one I would use to describe them. Far from it! "Assertive", yes. "Powerful", sure (when needed).

But "aggressive" just seems like such an ignorant term. Just like talking about "blasting" when we play.

CSO is nothing but the pinnacle of taste and excellence, imo.
Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Hornbuilder says - CSO is nothing but the pinnacle of taste and excellence
... I couldnt agree more Matt... Doug
Savio

Post by Savio »

I have to say I always admired the Chicago brass. Why...
When I was young there was two recordings that inspired me to play the bass trombone. It was Chicago Symphony with Bruckner 5 and Solti and George Roberts with Nelson Rieddle (A side note is in that time is wasn't many recordings to listen :roll: ) They're very different to listen at but also have some similarities. In time, in tune, good sound. To me George Roberts had more musical taste but thats not fair to compare of course, as a solo player you are free, in a symphony it depends on the conductor, the group , the culture of the orchestra.

For me the Chicago Brass is aggressive when needed, and extremely soft when needed. Like almost all other orchestras I have listen to.

But to me there is a difference and I think it's the culture of the the orchestra; "unity" That "unity" is in all orchestras but I think it has always been stronger in Chicago?

Anyway aggressiv is not the word, powerful, also soft and beautiful like the beginning of this recording. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJMHAwGgfL4&t=6s

Anyway great inspirasjon!

Leif
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

There's a great document that the late great Milt Stevens had on his site (maybe the site is still up?). It was titled - "Is your sound..." There would then be a list of terms that could be thought of as derogatory, followed by a list of terms that would be thought of as complimentary. It is well done, and is a very good example of how similar terms resonate differently with us. Bold can be used instead of Aggressive, and perhaps is a better description of the CSO Brass. The other thing to remember is that no matter what it's all about context - "Aggressive" playing doesn't suit a Bordogni etude or a Mozart choral work, but is needed in Shostakovich 7th or The Rite of Spring. The composer's intent and the events depicted in that music demand that the brass step up and "tell the story" for the audience. Other music tells a different story, and should be played accordingly.

Jim Scott
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I believe that the CSO brass musicians are very aware of the perceptions people have and the descriptive terms that people have used over the decades. Justifiably so, they are very proud of their skills in playing soft and delicate passages.

I remember reading an article in which one of the trombonists from the 60s of 70s was interviewed after a performance. I believe the interview might have been with Crisafulli? Please correct me if you know of the interview. Anyway, the person kept asking questions concerning the loud passages. However, the interviewee was very excited to talk about a very soft chorale passage from the performance……stating that it was some of the finest playing that the section had done in years.

Yes, the CSO brass section can be assertive and exciting when it is appropriate. They are absolutely capable of playing very beautifully when the music calls for sensitivity and subtlety.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Describing the Brass of Chicago Symphony as aggressive? Absolutely. But they aren't just aggressive, they have all the different styles available at the drop of a hat.

Having heard them play for years and getting the chance to perform with them a few times, they're not necessarily "loud", but the right dynamic, and always with an immediate sound.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
FeelsTromboneMan

Post by FeelsTromboneMan »

Thanks for sharing this with us. As a returning trombone player it's good for me to be able to get some exposure to groups to help point me in the direction of where I want to work towards.

Return to “Musicians”