Salsa recommendations?

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Bach5G

Salsa recommendations?

Post by Bach5G »

Recommended listening?
baileyman

Re: Salsa recommendations?

Post by baileyman »

Saturdays at 10pm on WBUR Boston, Con Salsa, four hours of the best. The guy has been doing this show for I think about 40 years and I believe there may be archives somewhere. After about 30 of those years listening I think I am beginning to catch on to the lilt driven by the bass on the and of the beat. Slow listener!

I suppose this is the homepage for it.
https://www.facebook.com/ConSalsaJoseMasso
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

You can also find Con Salsa through the WBUR Website (www.wbur.org). Maso's broadcast is in half-Spanish half-English.

Also, it's 5 hours. He goes 10 PM to 3 AM.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

"Desde La Bahia" Sundays at 6:00pm Pacific time on KCSM radio (https://kcsm.org/) in San Mateo, CA.
PhilTrombone

Post by PhilTrombone »

If you are looking for some names/bands to check out:

Tito Puente, Eddie Palmieri, Willie Colon (trombone player!), Fania All-stars, Ray Baretto, Larry Harlow, Poncho Sanchez, Celia Cruz, Ruben Blades.

The list goes on ....
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Yes, the list does go on. SO much great Latin music out there that could be called Salsa...

Just a few more that I would consider essential..

Spanish Harlem Orchestra, Manny Oquendo (trombone-based), Machito (aka Frank Grillo), Johnny Pacheco, Joe Cuba, Los Van Van, Eddie Palmieiri, ...
Last edited by greenbean on Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I'm partial to Pace Picante "Hot", myself.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

tjonz wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:48 am "Desde La Bahia" Sundays at 6:00pm Pacific time on KCSM radio (https://kcsm.org/) in San Mateo, CA.
I think Desde La Bahia is the brand new program on KCSM. KCSM is the Bay Area's jazz station and one of the few 24/7 jazz stations left in the country. Folks can stream it if they are not local. They have their regular Latin show from 2 pm to 6 pm on Sundays.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Thanks everybody.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

greenbean wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pm [KCSM is the Bay Area's jazz station and one of the few 24/7 jazz stations left in the country. Folks can stream it if they are not local. They have their regular Latin show from 2 pm to 6 pm on Sundays.
We are also lucky here in Southern California. There are two non-commercial FM jazz stations almost within listening reach of my home (I listen from my car radio, but they both stream):
KKJZ (from California State University Long Beach): https://www.kkjz.org/ 88.1FM
......... Jazz and blues; "Jazz on the Latin Side" every day (see schedule)
KSDS (from San Diego City College): https://www.jazz88.org/ 88.3 FM
......... Mostly mainstream/traditional jazz
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

Greenbean writes:

> KCSM is the Bay Area's jazz station and one of
> the few 24/7 jazz stations left in the country.

KCSM is (IMHO) one of the *best* 24/7 jazz stations, but there are plenty of others. Check out "http://radio.tj.org/".
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tjonz wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:06 am KCSM is (IMHO) one of the *best* 24/7 jazz stations, but there are plenty of others.
Check out "http://radio.tj.org/".
tjonz,

Thanks for this great listing. I'll bookmark it. :good: What strikes me are the prominent voids where there is apparently no full-time radio jazz in many heavily populated areas of the country! (e.g., New England, other than the great Salsa programming on WBUR, which I listened to when I lived in the Boston area decades ago.) 8-)

I wonder if there is a similar list of "classical" radio stations? I know of a few (again we're lucky here in Southern California with KUSC, San Francisco has KDFC, Boston has WCRB), and presume there are lots of others. :idk:
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I Heart Radio seems to have good lists of classical stations, so when I want to listen to classical music while I'm in the Rehab Gym working out I can find some on my phone.

Of course there are Classical stations in New York (WQXR), Chicago (WFMT), and Cleveland (WCLV). Our NPR station here in New Hampshire has an all Classical Music channel on their Web Site (NHPR.org) which is part of the Beethoven Classical Network.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:33 pm I'm partial to Pace Picante "Hot", myself.
The other day I was about to comment that I couldn't believe no one had made a comment like yours. I was beginning to think the members of this forum were not actually trombonist. :D
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:25 pm ...
KKJZ (from California State University Long Beach): https://www.kkjz.org/ 88.1FM
......... Jazz and blues; "Jazz on the Latin Side" every day (see schedule)
Dave, when I moved to Los Angeles in 1998, KKJZ was known as KLON. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I had never heard of a full-time jazz station!...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
ngrinder

Post by ngrinder »

Ray Barretto’s Rican Struction has been doing heavy time on my playlist. Great record! Spanish Harlem Orch is one of my favorite modern groups as well.
tjonz

Post by tjonz »

Bruce writes:

> I Heart Radio seems to have good lists of classical
> stations, so when I want to listen to classical music
> while I'm in the Rehab Gym working out I can find
> some on my phone.

You'll also find 27 classical stations at "http://radio.to.org". I created this single-page web app to simulate a car radio -- tune around quickly until you find something you like without having to navigate around in an app. Should work well for you at the gym.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

tjonz wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:53 am You'll also find 27 classical stations at "http://radio.to.org". I created this single-page web app to simulate a car radio -- tune around quickly until you find something you like without having to navigate around in an app. Should work well for you at the gym.
Thanks, tjonz! :good:
DominicaSanchez

Post by DominicaSanchez »

Bach5G wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:12 pm Recommended listening?
Barry Rogers! Love him a lot!
Example:
Davetall

Post by Davetall »

Kunm.org has Salsa Sabrosa Fridays 7-10pm Mountain Time. Knowledgeable DJs present a variety of styles.
djhendy

Post by djhendy »

Been enjoying this group
timbone

Post by timbone »

Someone who is really happening right now is Doug Beavers. Check out his video "sol" . The whole album (vinyl!) Is fantastic and his writing is what I would call great contemporary salsa. He is busy with his own label too. Have fun!
sf105

Post by sf105 »

I used to wonder about the style of soloing until I got to NYC and found out how loud they play.

Big fan of Eddie Palmieri.

And on this site we should look out for bands with Louis Kahn who is a bit of a Conn afficionado.
Bard

Post by Bard »

Oscar D'Leon has lot of tunes that are more or less "classics" and very nice trombone arrangements, for instance on "Lloraras".
Bard

Post by Bard »

Another classic is Willie Colon's Idilio. (I have always thought he played trombone on this but it seems not so):
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Bard wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:02 pm Another classic is Willie Colon's Idilio. (I have always thought he played trombone on this but it seems not so):
Check out 3:45 -> 4:10
Bard

Post by Bard »

Posaunus wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:02 pm
Bard wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:02 pm Another classic is Willie Colon's Idilio. (I have always thought he played trombone on this but it seems not so):
Check out 3:45 -> 4:10
Thanks for pointing to the trombone part! I have heard the tune many, many times (and played it myself) so I did not watch the whole video :-)
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:33 pm I'm partial to Pace Picante "Hot", myself.
At least it's not made in New York City!

Return to “Musicians”