Doreen Ketchens

Discuss the people that make the music here.
VJOFan

Doreen Ketchens

Post by VJOFan »

If you have been under a rock like I have, maybe this name will be new to you too. If so listen

https://youtu.be/EC8_zcGEZjc

Maybe others could add names below of other musicians that are G.O.A.T.s but may not be as well known as they should be. I could use some more education obviously.
MagnumH

Re: Doreen Ketchens

Post by MagnumH »

Doreen is Queen Clarinet! There's nothing like seeing her live on the streets.

Following on the NOLA vibe, definitely check out trombonist Charlie Halloran (The Tropicales, Meschiya Lake & The Little Big Horns). He's possibly the finest example of NOLA trad jazz playing at the moment, he's just outstanding.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Wow! She plays up a storm.

No, I had not heard of her before.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

MagnumH wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:11 pm Following on the NOLA vibe, definitely check out trombonist Charlie Halloran (The Tropicales, Meschiya Lake & The Little Big Horns). He's possibly the finest example of NOLA trad jazz playing at the moment, he's just outstanding.
Yes, very nice!

I have always had a blind spot for trad jazz. My jazz intro was contemporary big bands in the 80's and I have been (very) gradually filling in the history since then.
ArbanRubank

Post by ArbanRubank »

It was good to see her again. She pops up all too infrequently!
MagnumH

Post by MagnumH »

She seems to have been building her online brand a lot more over the last year - I’m sure in response to everything going on and the devastation of busking income for street performers.

Do check out the band Tuba Skinny as well - perhaps the finest group playing this style of music just now. Barnabus Jones is their trombonist.
Matt Hawke
Trombonist/Arranger/Bandleader
White Hot Brass Band // The Sideways // The Brass Machine
Stable: BAC Paseo W6 w/ DE MTN102 B+3; King 3B/F w/ Bach 4C; King 2B w/ King 12C

Return to “Musicians”