We've just lost one of our own.

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Posaunus

We've just lost one of our own.

Post by Posaunus »

Many of us here in Orange County, California were devastated to learn today that low brass player Gary Haendiges succumbed, after a short illness, to Covid-19 on Christmas Eve. A relatively young man, Gary was hale and hearty just two weeks ago. He was a fine musician, who played tenor and bass trombone, as well as tuba, exceptionally well in just about every ensemble imaginable in our area.

A fine, humble person, Gary did not deserve this fate. All of his many friends and associates are devastated.

R.I.P. Gary. :weep:
djkennedy

Re: We've just lost one of our own.

Post by djkennedy »

Be careful please
This is being a big challenge to
The whole world
And a time to think and reflect
about a whole new world and ways
of living on it
JoeStanko

Post by JoeStanko »

djkennedy wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:20 pm Be careful please
This is being a big challenge to
The whole world
And a time to think and reflect
about a whole new world and ways
of living on it
Vinnie Lionti, Met Opera..sweetness and light..thank you, dj yes be careful please.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

That is terrible news. Gary was a fixture in the SoCal trombone scene for many years. I played with him at Bones West and the SoCal Phil, and my wife also played with him at the Orchestra Collective of Orange County. A fine musician and an even better person.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

I'm sorry to hear this. Stay as safe as you can.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I had the privilege of playing alongside Gary once when he came to the Humboldt Brass Chamber Music Workshop. Wonderful player, really nice guy. What a shame.

For those who don’t know, the BCMW is a unique venue to play brass chamber music all day long in a non-competitive, friendly atmosphere. It’s held annually in late July and early August in Humboldt Co., California.

The brass world also lost Raymond David Burkhart due to unknown causes this week. Ray was a fantastic trumpet player, composer, pedagogue/teacher, coach, and wonderful friend. He wrote approachable music, much of it for brass groups and trumpet, but also voice and strings, with beautiful melodies and—quite often—a sense of humor. He will be greatly missed.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

I really liked Gary.

Return to “Musicians”