Jim Berman-bass trombonist passes away

Discuss the people that make the music here.
ddsbstrb

Jim Berman-bass trombonist passes away

Post by ddsbstrb »

I happen to get a post from the trombone-list, today, that Miami-area bass trombonist, Jim Berman, has passed away, recently. I had corresponded with Jim a few times and even sold him a very slightly used Greg Black 1G. I remember it had to make two trips to him, before he really must have liked it. I sent it down for a trial, and, he sent it back. I put it on the shelf for many weeks. I get another email, and, this time he purchased it.

I knew he was on the trombone-list for a long time. He bought and sold a lot of used trombone gear, over the years. I had breakfast with Danny Salmasion, when he stopped by a coffee shop in Cedarville OH, while visiting former Kenton lead trumpet player, John Harner. I never realized, until Danny explained to me, that Jim was also a music librarian and had a huge symphonic-library which he owned and used for a rental-library for symphonic orchestras all over the country. I guess he housed all of this music in his home!

I know Jim did a lot of show-playing in the Miami-area, according to Danny Salmasion, who also did pit-work in the Miami-area.

RIP!
Denny Seifried
Adjunct Trombone Instructor
Wittenberg Univ. Dept. of Music
Neo Bri

Re: Jim Berman-bass trombonist passes away

Post by Neo Bri »

Jim was cool. Sorry to hear this. Somehow, one or more people warned me about him being kind of belligerent or something before I played with him on some orchestra gigs. He was so nice, though. We got along really well. He generally told it like it was, which can be hard to hear sometimes. But always liked and respected him.

Thanks for letting us know.
btone

Post by btone »

I initially learned of Jim from a mutual friend who had done some trading with him and later passed on some of the items to me. These components came to make up my first Edwards bass bell section about 15 years ago, which I enjoyed using for about 10 years. I later traded with Jim directly and found him a pleasure to deal with and a great source of advice, including modifications to my 50B. When I bought a Shires dependent Thayer section from him about 5 years ago, he connected me with a gentleman who was selling an old style 1YT7 bell that proved to be a great match for it. I think Jim was a cool guy who knew a lot and am sorry he has passed. I am also reminded that we are all just custodians of the things we own.
pfcastor

Post by pfcastor »

Sorry to hear he has passed. He was very nice and friendly. About 20 years ago I was starting to play Bass trombone after a ling lay off. I was looking for a new Horn and saw an advertisement for an Olds Bass which I had played at the university. He sent me the horn to try with out even knowing who I was. He said if I like it send him an email and we could agree on a price. If not just ship it back. Jim sold me the horn at a very good price. He said that he had owned for about 15 years. He also emailed me with advice on how to start playing again. He recommend a few great method and etude books to use during my comeback.

Return to “Musicians”