Does anyone know some really good trombone solos (Or Trombone and Saxophone duets)?

Discuss the people that make the music here.
CharsleyTheParsley

Does anyone know some really good trombone solos (Or Trombone and Saxophone duets)?

Post by CharsleyTheParsley »

I would love to practice something hard that I can work on for months!
Something that wouldn’t get boring after 2 days

And even better, some jazz genre as well?

Also, if anyone knows any good trombone and saxophone duets it would be awesome to have some recommendations!

I need some music to start our own band, and this was my first thought to go to!

Thanks y’all!
BGuttman

Re: Does anyone know some really good trombone solos (Or Trombone and Saxophone duets)?

Post by BGuttman »

What level of player are you? I have solos that are quite hard, and others that are easy.

Classical solos:

Guilmant "Morceau Symphonique"
Saint-Saens "Cavatine"
Bach Cello Suites (these can be HARD)

Less classical:

Alan Raph "Rock"
Bernstein "Elegy for Mippy II"

Summer Band solos:

Anything by Clay Smith
Arthur Pryor: "Thoughts of Love"
Herbert L. Clarke: "Stars in a Velvety Sky"

Sax-Trombone: In Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" there's a tradeoff between the alto sax and the tenor sax where they swap 4 bar phrases. If you can read tenor clef and your saxophone friend plays alto, you can do that. If your friend plays tenor, you can read the alto part as bass clef (and take it up an octave if you can).

I had a book of french horn duets that I played with my teacher reading as tenor clef. If you can read tenor clef you can play with your friend on tenor sax. Doesn't have to be french horn duets -- duets for any instrument would work.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Re: Does anyone know some really good trombone solos (Or Trombone and Saxophone duets)?

Post by Posaunus »

From the OP's profile:

"Hi! I am a freshman in high school, and started playing trombone in 5th grade."

Return to “Musicians”