Cleaning a King alligator coffin case on the OUTSIDE

ttf_oslide

Post by ttf_oslide »

I know - if a case smells bad INSIDE -> Febreze, sunlight. If that doesn't help nothing will help.

But in/with this case - a very nice burgundy King alligator coffin case - I have the suspicion there may be something on the OUTSIDE that stinks. Therefore I want to clean it on the outside as thoroughly as possible.

What could I reasonably apply (household detergents, methylated spirit, kerosene, and the like), and most importantly, what should I NOT apply because it would affect the covering?

Thank you for recommending your tried and tested remedies!

Wolfgang

ttf_BGuttman

Post by ttf_BGuttman »

You can try saddle soap.  The coating is either a vinyl or leatherette.  If it is leatherette, the saddle soap is perfect.  If it is vinyl, it may help but won't hurt.  You could also try a disinfectant.  I like ones with quaternary amines, but I guess they are considered pollution hazards here in the US and have gone from the market.

If you want to try something more aggressive try it on a relatively invisible place first.
ttf_The Sheriff

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

Quote from: oslide on Apr 18, 2017, 08:25AMI know - if a case smells bad INSIDE -> Febreze, sunlight. If that doesn't help nothing will help.

But in/with this case - a very nice burgundy King alligator coffin case - I have the suspicion there may be something on the OUTSIDE that stinks. Therefore I want to clean it on the outside as thoroughly as possible.

What could I reasonably apply (household detergents, methylated spirit, kerosene, and the like), and most importantly, what should I NOT apply because it would affect the covering?

Thank you for recommending your tried and tested remedies!

Wolfgang====

In the states we have a spray on furniture polish called Pledge, with lemon Pledge being the most popular. Try to find something like that.

------

<Edit: Fixed Quote>
ttf_JP

Post by ttf_JP »

armourall works great
ttf_JP

Post by ttf_JP »

armourall works great

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”