My tribute to George Roberts

ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

George Roberts, listen this;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mlgncm93uz58h3/02%20Makin%27%20Whoopee.m4a?dl=0

It took some time for me to understand he is really gone. He was the inspiration for me to play the bass trombone. The sound, the timing, maybe it just bowls down to the fantastic musicality he had? I think its a blend of all, but the sound of him already made a deep footprint in music history.

My tribute is not a copy of him, but it is made in respect for the inspiration he gave me. Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU-Ex9vXE8A
Leif
ttf_RMTrombone

Post by ttf_RMTrombone »

Thank-you for posting.I enjoyed it  Image
Rich
ttf_svenlarsson

Post by ttf_svenlarsson »

Nice Leif!

I did listen to that song with GR so many times, every time I enjoy it so much. I do enjoy your sound to Leif!
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Quote from: svenlarsson on Apr 07, 2017, 10:25AMNice Leif!

I did listen to that song with GR so many times, every time I enjoy it so much.

Thats the strange thing, I also listen it so many times but never get tired of him playing it?

Svenne; glad påsk!! You have played nearly everywhere, wish I had your experience!

Regards!

Leif
ttf_timothy42b

Post by ttf_timothy42b »

leif,

Gorgeous!   Just.............gorgeous!

Thank you for sharing.
ttf_jalapeno

Post by ttf_jalapeno »

ttf_tbathras

Post by ttf_tbathras »

Wow - what a pleasure to listen to.  All your stuff is great - I love that sound.
ttf_watermailonman

Post by ttf_watermailonman »

Very good, Leif! Fantastic sound. You do sound very close to Mr Roberts Image

/Tom
ttf_Torobone

Post by ttf_Torobone »

My tribute was not as good. I played the arrangement of Stella By Starlight (Stan Kenton 1953) featuring George Roberts, not know the arrangement. I played Bass Trombone 4, and Mr. Roberts' solo was in in Bass Trombone 5. https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/Stella%20pg%201.jpg?token=AWzxuH3GBTpSPgggEVsKBIZpHI5VFhrTHhJp2QLYhdDC4yKrXLiVcJsTXxntleD-899WO0RM9ZWZh9srqfMLN3SGmlT-YQqIKIWIzFLcIE2Q6DZPpFrpYy9fKJ8dZ6779FG1GJA73eKZSyllJ7oXdjKwvUZFZgJLqe4coGTsa5E_MQ

We all noticed that a solo was missing, and found the current part in my folder when we were putting it away. They said I could try next time, in 2 weeks.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Leif,

As always, beautiful playing! Image  What bass trombone were you using if I may ask?
ttf_JP

Post by ttf_JP »

Having met George several times, as well as well as listening to his playing. He would just give you a big smile and say thank you.
ttf_blast

Post by ttf_blast »

Quote from: EWadie99 on Apr 15, 2017, 04:52PMLeif,

As always, beautiful playing! Image  What bass trombone were you using if I may ask?

It's the player, not the instrument. Leif could get that sound on your Getzen, and so could you... with a lot of work... which you should go for.

Chris Stearn
ttf_JohnL

Post by ttf_JohnL »

Since George was the founder of the group, a lot of the bass trombone solos in the Bones West book were written for him. There's a certain amount of awe incumbent upon standing at the mic reading off of the actual sheet music George used to read off of.
ttf_EWadie99

Post by ttf_EWadie99 »

Quote from: blast on Apr 16, 2017, 01:35AMIt's the player, not the instrument. Leif could get that sound on your Getzen, and so could you... with a lot of work... which you should go for.

Chris Stearn
I know, I was just curious on what he was using.
ttf_savio

Post by ttf_savio »

Thanks for all nice words, I don't deserve it. I did use the conn 60h.
I have a very clear "sound ideal" in George Roberts and all the bass trombone players from that time that used not to big equipment. They got a fantastic sound. I sound like my self and wish I could get their technique but that will need much more practice and more lessons with the pro teachers. But for now I'm happy for what I can do and dont worry that much about what I can't do.

Good to hear that my big idol George might would have smiled if he had listen it. Not so long time ago it was difficult to get his recordings but today its all on Itunes. I wish I could have listen him live like many of you have. I bet many still have him as an idol.

Leif

ttf_Piano man

Post by ttf_Piano man »

That's a marvelous tribute to George Roberts, Savio. I admire anyone who can make moving and emotional music using nothing more than blowing air into a long brass tube that's shortened and lengthened.
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Beautiful playing as usual, Leif.  It's always great to hear you. 

(now all it needs is a pedal E with flutter-tongue)
ttf_Sliphorn

Post by ttf_Sliphorn »

Beautiful playing as usual, Leif.  It's always great to hear you. 

(now all it needs is a pedal E with flutter-tongue)

Return to “Trombonists”