Getting back into Jazz

ttf_anonymous

Getting back into Jazz

Post by ttf_anonymous »

It's been about a year since I graduated high school and stopped playing jazz, since i did not audition for jazz here in the college i attend. Any tips on getting back into the jazz feel?
ttf_LowrBrass

Getting back into Jazz

Post by ttf_LowrBrass »

What exactly are you looking to do? Get your chops back in shape to audition for the school's jazz band?
ttf_DanMan4455

Getting back into Jazz

Post by ttf_DanMan4455 »

My chops are fine since i play everyday as a Music Education major. I guess I'm talking more about style-wise. I want to get a better feel for all different styles of jazz, and sight reading. The sight reading portion of the audition outweighs the prepared pieces by far for Jazz Band here.
ttf_vegasbound

Getting back into Jazz

Post by ttf_vegasbound »

Listen too every one from Miff Mole & Kid Ory to Bill Watrous via Dorsey, Urbie, Carl, Jack T,Frank Rossolino and any one else not forgetting of course Kai & JJ.

Then go and sit in with as many different ensembles as possible, put together a quartet or quintet, lots of new orleans style charts available so get one of those together!
ttf_DanMan4455

Getting back into Jazz

Post by ttf_DanMan4455 »

Thanks for the advice!
ttf_anonymous

Getting back into Jazz

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Hi danman,

I've been putting up a free jazz "licks" page for a while if you'd like to check it out.
As it's for all instruments, not everything is as easy to play on bone, but depending where you're chops are at. (But there are dedicated bone pdf's on each page).
The editions also contain some harmony chat, jazz ear training, and also some notated solos for some reading practice/stylistic development.

http://pigletmusic.com/lick-week-archive/

Hope it's of some interest to you.

Rob

ttf_DanMan4455

Getting back into Jazz

Post by ttf_DanMan4455 »

Thank You!
ttf_DanMan4455

Getting back into Jazz

Post by ttf_DanMan4455 »

Thank You!

Return to “Beginners and Returning Trombonists”