SOM Rapid Comfort End of Bottle.

ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Has anybody found that even after shaking the bottle before each application, towards the end of the bottle the product seems not to work so well, and it dries quicker on the slide?
ttf_keybone

Post by ttf_keybone »

Yes. I used Rapid Comfort for years (25-30 years) and never completely emptied a bottle. In addition, living in a very hot climate, the product's viscosity thins out, almost like water.

I recently started using the Yamaha brand.  An application of that stuff  lasts forever!  I'll find out this summer if heat affects the Yamaha brand in the same manner.
ttf_bassclef

Post by ttf_bassclef »

Quote from: keybone on Mar 23, 2017, 08:32AMI'll find out this summer if heat affects the Yamaha brand in the same manner.

It does.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: bassclef on Mar 23, 2017, 12:08PMIt does.

Me too, I may try the SOM separate components next.
ttf_Graham Martin

Post by ttf_Graham Martin »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 23, 2017, 12:44PMMe too, I may try the SOM separate components next.

Well, that is the opposite of my experience. Image I had the problem of loss of viscosity in the Slide-O-Mix two-bottle mix, mainly because the music shop I used had kept it on the shelf too long in the Queensland hot climate. I complained to the German manufacturer and they sent me a free bottle of Rapid Comfort to try, claiming it did not have the same problem. And so proved to be the case! Image

However, I guess the time people take to use up a bottle is also relative to whether they are playing inside or outside and the condition of their slides. Personally, I use up a 30ml bottle of Rapid Comfort in about 4 months because I thoroughly clean and oil my slides inside and out every time I play. 
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

In the UK I'm not in a particularly hot climate, but the liquid is definitely thinner towards the end of the bottle. I started adding it to Trombotine which works well. The slide on my K+H although having no faults that I can see, is of a closer tolerance than my older horns.
I play in restaurants and around catering often 2+ hour sets, and I usually have to reapply SOM partway though a gig. (3hours on the lips straight though this Sunday.)
Trombontine with a drop of silicone may be a better option.
ttf_Pre59

Post by ttf_Pre59 »

Quote from: Pre59 on Mar 24, 2017, 04:49AMIn the UK I'm not in a particularly hot climate, but the liquid is definitely thinner towards the end of the bottle. I started adding it to Trombotine which works well. The slide on my K+H although having no faults that I can see, is of a closer tolerance than my older horns.
I play in restaurants and around catering often 2+ hour sets, and I usually have to reapply SOM partway though a gig. (3hours on the face straight though this Sunday.)
Trombontine with a drop of silicone may be a better option.

Have just found an older bottle with 10 grams more in it, and it goes on the slide thicker. Maybe the product just needs a lot more shaking before use.
ttf_Big Daddy K

Post by ttf_Big Daddy K »

I switched from SOM RC to Yammisnot last year, thanks to Irvin Karan of Slidebone.

LOVE the Yammisnot.  Image
ttf_bassboneman

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

Quote from: Big Daddy K on Apr 28, 2017, 08:05AMI switched from SOM RC to Yammisnot last year, thanks to Irvin Karan of Slidebone.

+1000 - sonicsnot will change your life!
sam
ttf_bassboneman

Post by ttf_bassboneman »

Quote from: Big Daddy K on Apr 28, 2017, 08:05AMI switched from SOM RC to Yammisnot last year, thanks to Irvin Karan of Slidebone.

+1000 - sonicsnot will change your life!
sam

Return to “Accessories”