Loose Leadpipe

ttf_Jhereg

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Hi,

My .500 Minick came with two leadpipes. Both are very loose, to the point where they spin around freely in there and can fall out if I hold the slide the wrong way. Is this something that can be fixed/helped?

I looked around for similar posts and didn't find anything, if there's already a topic on this somebody please point me at it.

Thanks!
ttf_daveyboy37

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_daveyboy37 »

maybe wrap some teflon tape around the top? that should make them a bit more snug.

I don't know if expanding the far end would be feasible or recommended.
ttf_The Sheriff

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_The Sheriff »

Quote from: Jhereg on Feb 23, 2017, 05:34PMHi,

My .500 Minick came with two leadpipes. Both are very loose, to the point where they spin around freely in there and can fall out if I hold the slide the wrong way. Is this something that can be fixed/helped?

I looked around for similar posts and didn't find anything, if there's already a topic on this somebody please point me at it.

Thanks!

Tape
ttf_bonearzt

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_bonearzt »

Probably should have the slide end fitted to the inner tube.

Even with tape on the mouthpiece end,  it won't seal well and not play or slot like it should

Eric

ttf_Jhereg

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_Jhereg »

Ok, thank you!

ttf_ntap

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_ntap »

I played with tape on my leadpipes for a long time so they wouldn't rattle or spin around...however, during a leadpipe and mouthpieces testing session with a friend, my buddy suggested taking the tape off all my pipes.  He was right - there was a huge difference in the response and sound! 

I use mostly plumber's tape and occasionally masking tape.  Your results may vary, of course Image
ttf_back2bone

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_back2bone »

I haave interchangeable lead pipes on a 2B and an 88H. Both spin, I don't notice a difference between fixed and not. It just takes some getting used to when you take the MPs out.

ttf_greenbean

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_greenbean »

Pick the one you prefer and get it soldered in! 
ttf_Matt K

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_Matt K »

Or have a collar added.  The total cost isn't that much different; just the parts.
ttf_Blowero

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Eric is right; you should have a tech gently expand the end. The fact that it can fall out suggests that the end is loose. Whether it is tight at the mouthpiece end doesn't matter at all. What's important is that it fit snugly inside the slide tube at the far end of the leadpipe. That's where it seals, and that's what affects the way it plays.
ttf_Blowero

Loose Leadpipe

Post by ttf_Blowero »

Eric is right; you should have a tech gently expand the end. The fact that it can fall out suggests that the end is loose. Whether it is tight at the mouthpiece end doesn't matter at all. What's important is that it fit snugly inside the slide tube at the far end of the leadpipe. That's where it seals, and that's what affects the way it plays.

Return to “Repairs, Modifications, and Maintenance”