Marcus Bonna vs. DAC NX-2

ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Hey all,

I'm looking into a new long term case for my bass. My BAM is great, but just a little too large to fly with and I'm selling it soon.

First choice is the old standby MB standard case with music pocket. I'm totally fine with this case.

However, there's now the choice of the DAC NX-2. Has anyone used both? Is the DAC that much better for another $80?
ttf_bigbassbone1

Post by ttf_bigbassbone1 »

Hi Burgerbob, Spencer says hi!  Image  Image

I just bought a bonna, took over 6 months to arrive but its a great case, and if you are into the colours its fun. Mine is bright purple!

One of my old teachers has the DAC one, its a cool case, i dont know if size wise they are much different to a bonna, maybe slightly. Protection wise i think its much the same. Perhaps the DAC is slightly more protective but again i dont think there is much in it, and the music pouch on the bonna is handy.

A friend of mine recently showed me accord cases. Look them up (im pretty sure they are called accord) they look as small as a bonna or DAC but they apparently have a crush resistance up to 150 kilos! If i were flying and had to put one of those under it probably wouldn't be a huge stress. Downside is that on the website they cost over 1000 euro..... looks like you get what you pay for though.
ttf_HouBassTrombone

Post by ttf_HouBassTrombone »

I have tried both... Marcus Bonna man. If you need reasons send me a Facebook message lol.
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Looks like MB it is!

I'm very happy with my "new" MB Lightweight tenor case.
ttf_mr.deacon

Post by ttf_mr.deacon »

Quote from: Burgerbob on Feb 01, 2017, 04:27PMLooks like MB it is!

I'm very happy with my "new" MB Lightweight tenor case.
Your bass fits in the tenor case?
ttf_Burgerbob

Post by ttf_Burgerbob »

Quote from: mr.deacon on Feb 01, 2017, 05:14PMYour bass fits in the tenor case?

Nope, I'm just confusing. I got it for my tenor. I say "new" because I bought that one quite well used. I'll be getting a new bass case.

I did use a protec tenor case for my 50B quite successfully for a time.
ttf_miketrombone

Post by ttf_miketrombone »

Hi guys,
I've had both for my basses.  I didn't like the MB because I had clearance issues between the Thayer valves and slide (just a couple mm), so I only ever used it for my smaller bass.  I don't really like the clamshell design with the slide in the lid, and as far as I know MB doesn't make a "lightweight" version for bass tbn, where the slide sits vertically behind the bell, thus avoiding the clearance problem for wide valve wraps when you close the case.

The DAC is quite a bit smaller and lighter than MB.  It's an ingenious design and the slide does fit behind the bell section.  You can get a double Thayer horn (9.5 bell only)in there with no problem.  The interior is completely modular, even the accessories thingy can be moved.  Since the case is smaller, the accessory box is quite small.  They do sell a Velcro mpc pouch that mostly solves that problem.  Also, the fibreglass is thinner than MB, so under no circumstances would I check this case under an airplane, but it's totally fine for around town.  I get WAY more compliments about this case than I ever did with my MB.  Very sleek and shiny!

Cheers,
Mike
ttf_anonymous

Post by ttf_anonymous »

Marcus is making all cases in a carbon fiber option now. The people at MB say they are much lighter with the same strength as the fiberglass versions. They look the same just the shell is different. There is a price increase. I have a bass version on order so I can report in a few months. The DAC NX-2 is smaller?
ttf_20Posaunen

Post by ttf_20Posaunen »

Quote from: trmbtrmb on Feb 13, 2017, 03:31AMMarcus is making all cases in a carbon fiber option now. The people at MB say they are much lighter with the same strength as the fiberglass versions. They look the same just the shell is different. There is a price increase. I have a bass version on order so I can report in a few months. The DAC NX-2 is smaller?

Can you update us on this carbon MB bass case, please?
ttf_20Posaunen

Post by ttf_20Posaunen »

Quote from: trmbtrmb on Feb 13, 2017, 03:31AMMarcus is making all cases in a carbon fiber option now. The people at MB say they are much lighter with the same strength as the fiberglass versions. They look the same just the shell is different. There is a price increase. I have a bass version on order so I can report in a few months. The DAC NX-2 is smaller?

Can you update us on this carbon MB bass case, please?

Return to “Accessories”