Playing while teaching private lessons (poll)

How and what to teach and learn.

When teaching private lessons, how much do you play with/for the student?

I play with the student all of the time
18%
I play for the student to show them how it's supposed to sound
71%
I sing to the student so they can hear the passage
12%
I talk the student through the passage and have them figure it out on their own
No votes

Total votes: 17
JLivi

Playing while teaching private lessons (poll)

Post by JLivi » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:20 pm

I had a thought today while teaching private lessons. There are many ways I teach my students a specific passage, etude, etc. Personally, I try not to play too much with or for the student because I feel like having them mimic my playing is too easy of a learning tool and I don't want them to rely on me to be able to learn. I'll play with/for them as a last resort if they're not getting it, but I was curious how much playing do you do in lessons?
Doug Elliott

Re: Playing while teaching private lessons (poll)

Post by Doug Elliott » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:28 pm

It depends on the student, level, and what they need. When I was in my first few years of playing I found it incredibly helpful to hear my teacher so I knew what to emulate. Not learning by rote at all, just hearing sound, articulation, etc. up close.

I pretty much remember my learning processes all the way through from the beginning, with all of my teachers.
Kingfan

Post by Kingfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:15 pm

I started taking trombone lessons with a trumpet teacher, then a tubist. My best learning experience was when doing duets with my next teacher, Jim Desano, then a brand new member of the Cleveland Orchestra. I did my best to emulate his playing. He would also play a passage I was having difficulty with, then let me do it.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing! :D
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:37 pm

From a learning point of view, I learned the most about playing trombone when I played duets with my teacher. Intonation and time bring an entirely different meaning when playing with another person with good intonation and time. My teachers rarely played to demonstrate something, but when we played duets (not playing an etude at the same time, but harmony), I learned so much that couldn't be taught by just instruction.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”